Navigation - no information with which to navigate!

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I did the school section of FS2004 and the navigation was very interesting - they gave you charts to print and told you what to do. However flying around from GPS point to GPS point is boring now and I want to say fly from one airport to another using charts - of course there are none!

Does anyone else have this problem? Navigation is such a big thig but it's not well represented in FS2004.

Take, for example, X-Plane - that has charts built into the sim with frequencies and even air corridors shown. Surely it's not too hard?!

D.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

Nothing is better than the real thing. http://www.vrotate.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Thanks for that, but blimey, loads of stuff! I don't know which one of those I need but will have a look.

(edited later) They seem to be HUGELY US biased and also they cost money 😞 Any freeware charts anywhere?

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Have you tried creating a VOR-to-VOR flight plan in FS2004? Leave the GPS off, and fly the route using just VOR. A bit more challenging than GPS point-to-point.

As for charts (more challenging, I admit). If you can, start hanging around a local airfield and get to know some pilots. They have to buy new charts everytime they are updated, and their old ones are more than good enough for our needs. Good luck.

Pro Member Trainee
leadZERO Trainee

horrgakx wrote:

I did the school section of FS2004 and the navigation was very interesting - they gave you charts to print and told you what to do. However flying around from GPS point to GPS point is boring now and I want to say fly from one airport to another using charts - of course there are none!

Does anyone else have this problem? Navigation is such a big thig but it's not well represented in FS2004.

Take, for example, X-Plane - that has charts built into the sim with frequencies and even air corridors shown. Surely it's not too hard?!

D.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ all you ever wanted to know about navigation
www.maptech.com $50 and you can order a complete set of all out-dated VFR/IFR charts for the US in digital form.
FSNavigator (forget url) or www.fsbuild.com to get a kick ass flight planning utility.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...