Empty Jump Seats

Jamie4590 Guest

There must be a lot of jump seats that are empty each day. Could they not let us student pilots tag along?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I guess you're talking about jump seats in commercial airline cockpits, or are you talking about the jump seats in the cabin?

Jamie4590 Guest

Within the freight industry I would expect the most jumpseats go unused per day and if the airlines allowed carefully selected individuals to fly in the cockpit soley to observe it would aid in their training and be a way of selection and recriuitment for the airline. Of course the flight crews might not like the idea of their routine flights being disrupted by a 'rookie'.

Guest Ed Guest

I can imagine that there would be security concerns with letting the public (and especially student pilots) into the cockpit. Remember, the guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were not professional pilots.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I heard that the only thing that one of those terrorists had flown before was a 747 on FS. Surprised

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I agree with Ed. The risk is too high. The selection process can be as rigorous as possible, but there is still a chance, you are letting a ruthless psychopath into the cockpit, for what? Just to let a student pilot learn the ropes?

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Most of the time the jump seat(s) are empty. Each airlines in the US has jump seat procedures to ensure safety. Jump seats are restricted to airline pilots of that airline or other airlines that have a reciprocal agreement with the airline in question. If there's a seat in the cabin, other airlines pilots must use that seat. Pilots of the same airline in question can use the jump seat even if seats are open in the cabin. The jump seat is controlled by the captain. This procedure differs slightly by airline and may differ in a large part in procedures in the rest of the world. Some aircraft have flight attendant(FA) jump seats as well. This allows flight attendants to jump seat. FA's are not allowed to jump seat in the cockpit.
🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...