Help me please, it's about the tree textures

Pilau Guest

The tree texture of FS is divided into 16 blocks of trees, in a 4x4 matrix.
I was testing my nearly finished tree textures where I found out that for example in the seattle area, only the first row of trees is presented, i.e. only 4 different kinds of trees are loaded. (I'm not talking about bushes or cypresses (forst-type)).

Anyway, I was having another test in israel right after, and I noticed that in Israel the second row of trees is most obvious, although you can see a few trees from the second row in the texture.

Now, maybe someone here could help me find out what is the landclass for both rows? I mean, from my tests they surely have different landclass, but I have to know where is the first row usually loaded and where is the second row.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pilau Guest

Maybe you can point me to a developing forum for FS2004, I'm sure that would help.

Pilau Guest

Bump

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

hey pilau,

landclass of trees, and buildings is set by a colour map (like an alpha for model textures) layer on the world textures. there are something like 250 different colours for 250 diff types of landclass, so maybe dark green for mountain pines and light green for some nice decidious trees. you cannot have damaged any of this with your tree creation Wink

with your new trees - do they contain an alpha layer for transparency? if they are maybe you have accidentally made the specific rows invisible unintentionally?

Pilau Guest

In order to test which trees show where I colorized each tree with a strong color (8 different colors for 8 different trees), for example: yellow, blue, green, red, orange, purple, pink... and so on, so I could tell the difference when viewing the actual scenery.

The reason I did this was I decided to have some of the spring trees colored, with natural bloom colors, to make a more spring-ish atmosphere.
But after coloring 4 different trees with purple, red, off-white and yellow tested the textures and the result was obvious: only the purple tree was presented.

So, to check what trees are viewed in that area I was testing, I tried the aforementioned colors test.
And yes, of course they contain an alpha layer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

am i correct in thinking that you have created these new trees - but only one sort are showing up in an area where several types should show?

Pilau Guest

Not exactly. Do you mind if we talk about it on IM? Would be much more productive.

Pilau Guest

Hey hitch, I just tested your color map theory, and I'm sorry but it's incorrect.

As mentioned, the vegetation texture sheet is divided into a 4x4 matrix, each block in the matrix is representing a single plant texture. As I speculated earlier today, each row has it's own landclass (except for the 4th row, which contains both bushes and palms, which have a tropical landclass)

I have tested this out just now and concluded this.
Thank you hitch, without your suggestion I would have never reached this conclusion 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...