lightning = bad

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Hello all! I haven't been around for a few days here, and its taken me about three hours to get caught up on everything. Glad to see the spam-storm is dissipating.

The reason for my absence was that the radio station where I work was absolutely toasted by a lightning strike early this past weekend. There are five stations in the building, they were all virtually destroyed. Here's the story from the local paper:

http://showmenews.com/2006/Aug/20060828News001.asp

Needless to say, I've been pretty busy trying to keep things on the air! Our engineers and IT people have done a great job, but I knew things were bad when one of them started quoting from the Book of Revelations as he worked!!!

Anyway - glad to be back!

😎

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm surprised that when they built it they didn't plan on having a system of some kind that would "absorb" a lighting strike.
I'm sure this is a common occurrence to facilities such as this.

Glad you weren't in there at the time and good to see you back.

Radar

3 days, not 1 spam!

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Yeah!! 😀

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

NIce to have you back! The anti spam login is working pretty well, I'm impressed.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Indeed. And I was glad to see myself stripped of my chief captain stripes, I didn't deserve them anyway!! 🍻 ROFL

Seriously, there seems to be some fresh air at flyaway, happy to see it.

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Glad to hear your station is getting back to normal 👍

KFRU news director: Dan Claxton wrote:

It’s being held together with rubber bands and chewing gum at this point

Umm... 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Its true, Jolegg!! 😂 😂

I was running things with a cd player, a microphone, and half of a computer!

Lightning scares me now. 😳

😎

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Good to see your safe and sound Faucett. Good luck with the station's recovery 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

Good to see your safe and sound Faucett. Good luck with the station's recovery 😉

Yes Yes Yes 👍

Jamie4590 Guest

NASA had a mission hampered recently after a ligntening strike.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Thanks, all, for your kind words - things are quite trying at the moment, but your generous empathy encourages me!!! 😀 😀

😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...