Whats the default airport?

robson131 Guest

Can anyone remember what the default airport was in the previous versions ie 95,98, 2000 etc, I completely forgot?

Cheers
Andy

ps, Does anyone have a Geforce 7900GTX, Im trying to find the best driver for my card helpp ty

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I believe it was Miegs Field 😉

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

Yeah, Chicago M. F.
The people at that real-life AP have been in court over it's shutting down attempts. 🙄

media_pdc Guest

hey, by the way. What's the default airport in FSX? Again Seatle like in FS9?

media_pdc Guest

hey, by the way. What's the default airport in FSX? Again Seatle like in FS9?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Out of curiosity. Why worry what the default airport is when it is so easy to change?

Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

Crash, Would greatly appreciate a short tutorial on changing the default airport and airplane. I didn't want to go mucking around in .cfg files without some sense of what I could be screwing up.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

greystone wrote:

Crash, Would greatly appreciate a short tutorial on changing the default airport and airplane. I didn't want to go mucking around in .cfg files without some sense of what I could be screwing up.

You can do it in the sim. Select everything you want i.e. the aircraft, the location, the weather, season and time of day and then go to save, and tick the box that says "Set as default flight" or something to that effect.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The real Meigs airport is gone. Last time I was in Chicago, there was a Police substation located on the property. Sounds strange that FSX would use a nonexistent airport as the default location. It probably includes Meigs for nostalgic reasons but uses another airport as the default airport. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

CRJCapt wrote:

The real Meigs airport is gone. Last time I was in Chicago, there was a Police substation located on the property. Sounds strange that FSX would use a nonexistent airport as the default location. It probably includes Meigs for nostalgic reasons but uses another airport as the default airport. 🙂

Really? I never knew that!
FS2004 HAS the airport in it! UNBELIEVABLE! Lets hope FSX won't have it......

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Meigs airport has been the default airport in FS for a long time. It was included in FS2004 as a tribute. It may be in FSX also but I don't think it will be the default airport. It doesn't matter, you can change the default airport to whatever you want to. 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field

Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

Jon, Thanks....DOH!!!....that was the one thing I hadn't ever done in FS9, save a flight. It seems I was always inventing new itineraries on different aircraft all the time. Only thing I ever saved was the flight plans. Sheesh. What a dummy!

Unknown Guest

I think the defult airport for FSX is firday houbour. Im not quite sure because i changed it straight away.

Friday Harbor.

Tiny airstrip in the San Juan islands just South of Victoria, BC, Canada, and about ten minutes in a cessna North of Seattle.

Guest Guest

I think it would have been cool if when you start up the sim for the first time (and it does all the initiallization) that the default was set to your nearest airport based on IP location..... 2 cents worth.

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

Guest wrote:

I think it would have been cool if when you start up the sim for the first time (and it does all the initialization) that the default was set to your nearest airport based on IP location..... 2 cents worth.

That would be awesome. But, maybe not on IP location, but on the installation you set your location, then it loads the nearest airport.......that would be nice! 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

encarta2006 wrote:

Guest wrote:

I think it would have been cool if when you start up the sim for the first time (and it does all the initialization) that the default was set to your nearest airport based on IP location..... 2 cents worth.

That would be awesome. But, maybe not on IP location, but on the installation you set your location, then it loads the nearest airport.......that would be nice! 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂

Maybe not so cool; the nearest airport to me is a grass strip 😂 . Westfield Airport. I was surprised it even appeared in the list of airports, since I've never seen an airplane there, but it's basically a grass field and a windsock. Maybe fine for ultralights, but probably not great for anything bigger than a Cessna 152.

Pro Member Trainee
Don Geiss (dmgcapt) Trainee

I like the guests idea that it should default by our location...maybe for FS08

jordans Guest

I live in Friday Harbor and was pleasently supprised to find it as the default location.. Its an awesome place.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Andy,

I completely understand how easy it is to forget details like the default airports from previous versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Let me jog your memory and provide you with a list of default airports from the versions you mentioned, as well as the default airport in the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator.

• Microsoft Flight Simulator 95: Meigs Field (KCGX) - A small airport located in Chicago, Illinois. Unfortunately, it was closed in 2003.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 98: Meigs Field (KCGX) - It was retained as the default airport in this version as well.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000: San Francisco International Airport (KSFO) - A major international airport in California.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (KSEA) - A major international airport in Washington state.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020): Renton Municipal Airport (KRNT) - A general aviation airport in Renton, Washington. While it's not the default airport for free flight, it is where you start the initial tutorial.

Keep in mind that this list only includes the default airports for the mentioned versions. Each version of Microsoft Flight Simulator comes with a wide variety of other airports to explore and enjoy. In the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), you have access to more than 37,000 airports worldwide, thanks to the integration of Bing Maps and Blackshark.ai technology for generating highly detailed environments.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...