water textures

Pro Member Trainee
Sindre Henriksen (gothgod) Trainee

Hi everybody.

I have a problem which bothers me alot!
I have downloaded very good water textures for fs2004 and I have put the files exactly where they should be installed (read from the readme.txt)
and the destination was:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs9\Scenery\World\Textures\"
But the problem is that the new textures wont work!
I have tried 2 or 3 different textures but cant get it to work!

Anyone has a clue of what can be wrong, since it wont work?

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Unless you give us more concrete information it's almost impossible to troubleshoot.

Pro Member Trainee

Isn't the information given -CONCRETE- enough?

I have downloaded water textures and installed them but they will NOT work, even when they are installed to the right directories.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think a link or instructions on where to find this addon constitutes concrete information 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Just a stupid reminding...Do you have your Water Effects slider to Max ?(Settings/Display/Scenery).

Last edited by Greekman72 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
Mitchell Delaney (minicaptain) Trainee

hi gothgod, just makin sure (you most probably already know this) but did you restart fs9 and put water textures to max?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

Isn't the information given -CONCRETE- enough?

No it isn't. You quote a small part from the Readme.txt which could have been out of any add-on Scenery / Textures, because the path is always the same. Besides, for those who try to help you it is much easier to be able to read the complete Instructions / Documents / Readme files instead of having to start guessing with only the bits and pieces you provide as a foundation.

Now I would like to ask a question, if I may:

What is so difficult about including a filename or a link in the first post? Hack Hack

🙂)

Pro Member Trainee

Answer for your question "Tailhook":

Because I do not have internet at home and I do not remember the file name of the new water textures "rar" file I downloaded.

I am not sure about the water texture detail.
I will check it out when I get home.
If it is not at max I will put it at max, and restart the game.

And tomorrow I can seek through avsim about water textures and see if I can find those I have downloaded and give you the filename.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

Because I do not have internet at home and I do not remember the file name of the new water textures "rar" file I downloaded.

Okay, now we know. I on the other hand, have everything right in front of me. Yet I still use the old-fashioned pad and pen and guess what I jot down most of the time when I'm not flying? File names. If I think that I might not remember where a certain file is available I jot that down too. Not a big deal.

Pro Member Trainee

Ok I have found 1 water texture file at home.
I downloaded it from avsim I think.
The file name is: "fs9wat.zip"

There is a picture inside this zip file where you can see the new texture.
It is very very nice.
I installed it and put the water graphics at max. But still the original water texure is shwoing.

Not the new one 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ok I've got this file in my archive, it's by Lynn and Bill Lyons. Seing that you've already moved your slider to max. I can only guess what went wrong.

If you followed these instructions: 2. Unzip the file InstlWat.zip directly into your main fs2004 folder. ...then this could be causing problems. But not all is lost if you install the bitmaps manually.

Before you do that though, just doublecheck that WinZip or whatever you are using didn't erroneously put the 'Texture' folder inside the 'Texture' folder.
I see that you have the right path: FS9\scenery\world\texture --- just make sure that the 13 bitmaps from fs9wat.zip ended up in the right location. It's possible that the folder which contains those bitmaps was placed in its entirety into the 'texture' folder.

Open the texture folder in your FS9\scenery\world\texture archive and look for all files starting with env_ .
If you only have 11 of those files, that means the installation wasn't successful. Back up those 11 files (they are the original, default bitmaps) and copy/paste the 13 bitmaps from fs9wat.zip into this folder. Try again and let us know how you're getting on.

Note: There are also flights in the .zip file. Unless you want to do those flights, you can just ignore those files and discard them.

Pro Member Trainee

ok

thanx for the detailed help in the last post 🙂
I'll try later and let you know.
I dont care much about the flights.
Coz I usually just fly around in the world from place to place.

Have tried a few flights though.
Was kinda funny coz it was a flight through the Bermuda Triangle.
And even that was odd because even though I had prop speed.
(Not overspeed) alittle while after I got through the triangle I got crash or something!
Think it had something to do with turbulence or something!
Not quite sure yet though.

Pro Member Trainee

funny...

I looked through my fs9/scenery/world/texture folder and I found 18 files which ended with "env"!
as you wrote there was supposed to be 11 or 13!

whould I just take backup of those files and delete them or just take backup and install the new ones?

I am not even sure of those 18 files are new ones or old ones! 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

I looked through my fs9/scenery/world/texture folder and I found 18 files which ended with "env"!
as you wrote there was supposed to be 11 or 13!

Negative. I didn't write that there were supposed to be 11 or 13 --- I wrote there are supposed to be 11. These details matter!!
You found 18 files ending with "env"?? That's very strange. Read my post again. Details matter!!

whould I just take backup of those files and delete them or just take backup and install the new ones?

❓ ❓ ❓ Do you know the meaning of your question? --- I don't.

Do you know what it means to 'back up files'? I do. You obviously don't.

I am not even sure of those 18 files are new ones or old ones!

An educated guess would be that those 18 files are not the default (old) ones and that during a previous attempt to install water textures you overwrote the default bitmaps without backing up the originals.

Note: I will not tell you how to make back ups because this thread shows clearly that you are not prepared to read any instructions let alone follow them.

Pro Member Trainee

first you say there are supposed to be 11. then I write that you said 11 or 13 because I want quite sure which you had wrote.
and again you write that you said there was supposed to be 11. not 11 pr 13. make up your mind😛

either way...
just tell me in an eassy way how I can fix this problem?
I dont want to reinstall the game.
have added tons of aircrafts and alot of scenery add on.

and yes I actually DO know HOW to make backup of files.
I have a backup fs0024 directory in my main directory where I keep all my music and movies and pictures.
I'll look through and see if there are any env files in the backup directory and I'll inform you either later or tomorrow if I had or if I didnt.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

first you say there are supposed to be 11. then I write that you said 11 or 13 because I want quite sure which you had wrote.
and again you write that you said there was supposed to be 11. not 11 pr 13. make up your mind😛

either way...
just tell me in an eassy way how I can fix this problem?
I dont want to reinstall the game.
have added tons of aircrafts and alot of scenery add on.

and yes I actually DO know HOW to make backup of files.
I have a backup fs0024 directory in my main directory where I keep all my music and movies and pictures.
I'll look through and see if there are any env files in the backup directory and I'll inform you either later or tomorrow if I had or if I didnt.

I'm beat. I concede defeat. I have nothing more to say in this thread except that I'm sure you'll find someone more knowledgeable and with more patience than I who will gladly upload the missing default bitmaps for you.

Amen.

😀 lol

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...