Controlling jets in FSX

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

I find it quite weird that when flying a jet in fsx (e.g the A321), if I turn the stick all the way to one side, it will barely turn, but when I am over the runway right before touch down the response increases dramatically and if I turn the stick all the way to one side the plane will flip over..

what's up with that? I mean, I'm really struggling to align with the runway, and when I finally manage to do so, the plane starts reacting properly to my movements.. not when I wanted it to.

Oh and btw, the rudder won't work either until I'm right above the runway

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

When you refer to turn the stick, do you mean the rudder axis or ailerons?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

everything. rudder axis, ailerons and elevators

Pro Member Chief Captain

I haven't been flying the jets in FSX too much, so I hadn't noticed. I will take one for a joy ride this morning and see if I get the same results.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Thanks. Any help is appreciated. Btw, I just noticed the CRJ works fine.. I think the problem is with the A321 (and perhaps the other jets but I'm not sure, haven't tried them yet)

Pro Member Chief Captain

I found it a little mushy on approach, but not unreasonable. Of course, I am using a yoke, rather than a joystick which is a no-no when flying the A321.

Out of curiosity, did you make a note of the airspeed at which contol becomes a problem?

Pro Member Trainee
jhausner Trainee

It's a bug in the autopilot I found. If I'm understanding your problem orrectly you to left or right and the plane turns very very slightly and then returns to center. The large jets seem to get a sticky autopilot and sometimes it gets toggled on but won't tell you.

Hit your Z key and you'll hear the autopilot alert for it turning off and you should suddenly notice you get control back.

I've also noticed on the large jets that the maximum thrust setting gets locked too from time to time. You haev to hit I think it's either Ctrl+R or Alt+R (look on the keyboard command) to turn it off. I had to land a 747 during a mission at full throttle and everything I did wouldn't let me reduce it. I ended up just turning off the engines and gliding it in then figured out the max throttle thing was stuck.

I think they are just bugs in the game.

PA46Driver Guest

SeanGa wrote:

I find it quite weird that when flying a jet in fsx (e.g the A321), if I turn the stick all the way to one side, it will barely turn, but when I am over the runway right before touch down the response increases dramatically and if I turn the stick all the way to one side the plane will flip over..

what's up with that? I mean, I'm really struggling to align with the runway, and when I finally manage to do so, the plane starts reacting properly to my movements.. not when I wanted it to.

Oh and btw, the rudder won't work either until I'm right above the runway

Its actually a very real (be it exaggerated) behaviour, most aircraft are most manouverable at low speeds and as you get lower, the "ground effect" comes into play as lift increases below the aircraft, giving the control surfaces more air to use.

The A321 IRL is also completely fly by wire, and is programmed to alter control inputs at different speed, you don't want the aircraft to roll or yaw suddenly when you are doing 230 kts, however during an approach, such a manouvre may be necessary.

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

Is it because you have the autopilot on?

Sorry I'm not being patronising, but in my experience, it is always the small silly things that cause the problem!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

PA46Driver wrote:

Its actually a very real (be it exaggerated) behaviour, most aircraft are most manouverable at low speeds and as you get lower, the "ground effect" comes into play as lift increases below the aircraft, giving the control surfaces more air to use.

The A321 IRL is also completely fly by wire, and is programmed to alter control inputs at different speed, you don't want the aircraft to roll or yaw suddenly when you are doing 230 kts, however during an approach, such a manouvre may be necessary.

Isn't it the opposite? If the aircraft is going faster, more air is going over the control surfaces so they are rendered more effective. If you slow down, i.e. go 10kts, the control surfaces won't do anything because enough air isn't going over them.

Also, ground effect is only present, at most, within half the length of the wing from the ground.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

99jolegg wrote:

PA46Driver wrote:

Isn't it the opposite? If the aircraft is going faster, more air is going over the control surfaces so they are rendered more effective. If you slow down, i.e. go 10kts, the control surfaces won't do anything because enough air isn't going over them.

Also, ground effect is only present, at most, within half the length of the wing from the ground.

exactly what I thought Jon. That's why you always take off into the wind - more air flow over the wings makes the plane react better to the controls.

And even if what you're saying is true PA46Driver, wouldn't it be kind of strange that SUDDENLY at some point over the runway the plane starts reacting like 10 times better to the controller movements?

Anyway I'll try the autopilot disengage thingie... because it seems to be on but I can't manage to turn it off.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I found it a little mushy on approach, but not unreasonable. Of course, I am using a yoke, rather than a joystick which is a no-no when flying the A321.

Out of curiosity, did you make a note of the airspeed at which contol becomes a problem?

I just double-checked, and it's not at a given speed the aircraft starts reacting to my movements, it's when I am above the runway/very close to it.

Kind of silly... can't fly the plane at all like this. I can't even use the rudder when I'm in the air! only right before landing. pfftt... and it turns soooo slowlyyyyyyyyyyyy

isn't anyone else sharing the same problem?

Hi,

just stumbled over this topic because I searched the internet for this issue.
Today I wanted to fly the Paris airshow mission. I experienced the problem reported here. The moment I am in the air I cannot control the rudder any longer. I can see it from the external view, the rudder surface doesn't move although it did when I was taxiing on ground. And the turn coordinator in the PFD indicates an uncoordinated turn when I turn left. Everything was well when I flew the other missions in the small aircrafts.
Are there any new results on this.

Kind regards
lilo

SeanGa wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

PA46Driver wrote:

exactly what I thought Jon. That's why you always take off into the wind - more air flow over the wings makes the plane react better to the controls.

And even if what you're saying is true PA46Driver, wouldn't it be kind of strange that SUDDENLY at some point over the runway the plane starts reacting like 10 times better to the controller movements?

Anyway I'll try the autopilot disengage thingie... because it seems to be on but I can't manage to turn it off.

HEY GUESS WHAT!!!-- real pilots also crash the a320 because of fly-by-wire too

Actually this isn't exactly true, because the b777 is a fly by wire plane that doesn't have the "hard limits" that airbus planes have. That plane was doing a fly-by, but he went to low and the plane thought that he was landing, and he couldn't pull out of it. Airbus planes also have other limits-computers prevent the pilot from putting the plane into a climb of more than 30 degrees, the maximum bank or roll allowed is 67 degrees, the plane's nose-down pitch is limited to 15 degrees. There are protections against overspeed, and the computer won't allow the plane to make any extreme maneuvers that would exceed 2.5gs... WEAK!!! that means I can't do rolls in airbus planes 😂 This doesn't sound like the problem that you're having though, because flybywire is supposed to make control surfaces respond the same no matter what the external conditions are, I'm just pointing it out because its another reason to fly boeing aircraft (but not be a passenger in one)lolol

guest 12 Guest

wow well that would suck really bad if you are in ifr and a mountain is coming up and you only see it about 500 ft ahead. cuz of the limitations the pilot wont be able to pitch the nose violently upwards to avoid the mountain.

Hi,

it's me again, lilo. After several attempts I came to the conclusion that this must be a real bug in the aircraft type. No matter what I try, neither autopilot nor flight director, yaw damper and autorudder have any influence on the blocked rudder.

Damn! What else did the MS developers forgot to implement?

rgds
lilo

Kohnen Guest

I'm finding the exact same problem. All the other aircraft in the sim are just fine. Full controls. Once the stock Airbus is off the ground, ALL flying controls are sluggish at best, as if the autopilot defaults to on and cannot be turned off. I've noticed that there is no visual movement of elevators, rudder, or ailerons during flight. Where this issue gets a little stranger is that once you can get the bird on the ground (IF you can get it on the ground!), all controls are fine. Everything moves like it should. Take off again, no control.

Has to be a bug in that aircraft.

x pilot Guest

try recalibrate joystick and then turn the sensitivity down and play around with the nullzone...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...