Windows Vista Beta & FSX

media_pdc Guest

Hey guys,

do you think that my FSX would work smoother with the new Windows Vista RC1, which is downloadable on microsoft's homepage?
My specs are:

Pentium 4 HT 3Ghz
Ati Radeon 9800 XL with 128 MB DDR SDRAM with 256Bit Memory Interface
512MB DDR RAM but I'll have 2,5GB DDR RAM on friday (yehaaa)

What's your opinion? Will work better or not?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well I've tried it on my dual-core 939 AMD +4400 4Gb Mem, and yes, it does work better, with a big BUT!

I was running Vista RC2 in dual-boot mode, with Win XP. If you do this, then you will have problems. Not with FSX, but with the 2 OSes, whichever one you choose to run, it does something to the other OSes boot file, so next time you want the other OS on a reboot, it won't until you do a boot repair. This gets very tedious.

Having said that, if you are only intending to have just the one OS (Vista), it should be OK. As I'm now running it on another computer as the only OS.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say. One OS on one computer OK!

Just remembered, if you are using XP Pro, then you can install Vista on a virtual computer. I've only XP Home, and VPC doesn't work on Home version, only Pro.

media_pdc Guest

what difference in fps did you achieve?

If I would replace XP with Vista. Are there also any problems with some programs? I've read that not all my programs will work with Vista.
I mean, Is it worth to install this beta just to get a better performance? How much better is it? And do you maybe know what feature in Vista makes FSX work smoother?

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well it has an upgraded DX9, they call it DX10, but I don't think it is the final version.

And yes there are a few problems with some programs, which is my main reason for using it on it's own on a spare computer. The increase in fps can be quite a lot some of the time, I find the best performance is without any firewall, trojan, or virus checkers running, or similar. So my spare comp. is not connected to the 'net. Only for very short sessions, for activation, etc. Then I pull the plug.

Do you realise the size of download for Vista, over 2.5Gig. I'm on DSL and it took over ten hours. Luckily, I used my spare comp. before I had used it for the Vista install.

In all honesty, unless you are well up on computers, etc. I would wait, FSX will run quite well on XP, if the settings are kept down a bit. And you have a pretty good computer, specially if you are adding some memory.

If you take your time, some of the problems which are present now will get sorted, and make it much easier for users to install with less trouble.

These are my feelings on the subject, maybe some others here will give their views.

One other item, which may influence you final decision. FS9 does not like Vista. So you would only have FSX. If you want both, you should stay with XP.

media_pdc Guest

Hey KenTel, thank you very much help.
I can't imagine Windows Vista (BETA) improves my FSX because DX10 can't work!!! You need a special graphic card for directx10 which works with vista and just with vista.
So there must be something else improving FSX. I think I'll wait for real Vista because, I haven't a second computer and I'm frieghtened that some important programs I need won't work on Vista.
I think in Summer DX10 cards will be released? Does someine have new information to that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

Well it has an upgraded DX9, they call it DX10, but I don't think it is the final version.

And yes there are a few problems with some programs, which is my main reason for using it on it's own on a spare computer. The increase in fps can be quite a lot some of the time, I find the best performance is without any firewall, trojan, or virus checkers running, or similar. So my spare comp. is not connected to the 'net. Only for very short sessions, for activation, etc. Then I pull the plug.

Do you realise the size of download for Vista, over 2.5Gig. I'm on DSL and it took over ten hours. Luckily, I used my spare comp. before I had used it for the Vista install.

In all honesty, unless you are well up on computers, etc. I would wait, FSX will run quite well on XP, if the settings are kept down a bit. And you have a pretty good computer, specially if you are adding some memory.

If you take your time, some of the problems which are present now will get sorted, and make it much easier for users to install with less trouble.

These are my feelings on the subject, maybe some others here will give their views.

One other item, which may influence you final decision. FS9 does not like Vista. So you would only have FSX. If you want both, you should stay with XP.

Ken, did you have problems with some of the major programs, like PhotoShop.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...