NEED URGENT HELP!! WINDOWS VISTA PROBLEMS!!!

kantk2007 Guest

hi guys,
I upgraded my PC from windows XP to windows vista ultimate. Everything was working fine, but I hadn't tested FSX. I had a bad feeling. When I switched on FSX, my worst nightmare came true. The Ultralight wasn't loading, and when I took any airplane, the gauges weren;t working, my engine wasn't on, and wasn't switching on. I had yucky black spots etc... PLEASE HELP!!! Windows vista is good, but COME ON!!
my specs:

Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00 Ghz
1023 MB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
Nvidia GEforce 7600 GS 256MB

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

kantk2007 wrote:

hi guys,
I upgraded my PC from windows XP to windows vista ultimate. Everything was working fine, but I hadn't tested FSX. I had a bad feeling. When I switched on FSX, my worst nightmare came true. The Ultralight wasn't loading, and when I took any airplane, the gauges weren;t working, my engine wasn't on, and wasn't switching on. I had yucky black spots etc... PLEASE HELP!!! Windows vista is good, but COME ON!!
my specs:

Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00 Ghz
1023 MB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
Nvidia GEforce 7600 GS 256MB

How about the new video drivers, did you clean out the old and load new.
Black spots, post a screenshot.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Are we assuming this was an Xp upgrade, Not a clean Vista install? And that FSX Sp1 was installed and working prior to the upgrade?

I'm picking nits because I'm about to go this same route to Vista!

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

While I do not like "upgrades," as "clean Installs" are much better and don't bring along problems originally in the previous install, your Ram is seriously low for Vista. Did you do the hardware advisor thingy prior to the Vista upgrade? And as RD said, what about drivers for the video card? No offense meant, but I'm surprised Vista runs well on 1 G Ram; and the card with 256 MB Ram is also hurting with FSX. I wonder how FS 2004 runs? You can take a "upgrade" of Vista and clean install it without difficulty. rob

kantk2007 Guest

Yeah, I did upgrade from XP SP2. My FSX was working perfectly in XP. I do know that my ram is low, an I am planning to upgrade the computer in a few months. As for the video card, my NVIDIA 7600 is doing perfectly fine (surprisingly) Actually, everything is pretty fast on a 1 gig ram. What I do not get is why my sound is always on idle, my throttle not working, gauges not there. Does vista block the gauges? As for the screenshots, Im working on it right now...

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

Hello fellow simmers -
I've had Vista Home Premium for about 4 months now - UPGRADE from XP sp2 - of course, defragged, cleaned everything out I could - and it went without a hitch - I'm funning Anthlon single core / - "had" 2 gig ram..........FSX ran pretty well, AFTER I turned OFF UAC........UAC really bottle-necked FSX along with Photoshop/Illustrator, and about everything else - of course, MS does NOT like it when you disable UAC, BUT, I'm the end-user and needed my programs to work - it's just the way Vista is layered with encryption................as example - VoiceBuddy would absolutely NOT run when intalled in program files folder - I had to re-install in the root of C: for it to work - due to Vista not allowing access by VB to its files in the Program Files Folder -

WELL, after all of that, I really "like" Vista, especially going to a total of 3 gigs of ram - Vista IS a resource hog......hands down...................

I now have the same processor, 3 gigs of ram, 8800GTS 640 meg, 22" wide monitor and FSX is really a good experience................OF course, sliders are not maxed and can't be until additional updates in hardware, patches in nVidia Drivers, DX10 release, and so on as you all know.

My FPS is running 25-35 in the air - BUSY airports, lots of ground scenery, 10-12 -

Again, I will also thank JLangevin for all of his help - he was so kind to send me his FSX.cfg file, along with tips on "tweaking" my nVidia Control Panel -

Don't know if this helped or not, but I feel better.....................

cthiggin

kantk2007 Guest

Hi guys its me again,
I was just reading other posts and forums, and I see there is an issue with FSX SP1 and Vista. It messes up the games. Is that, maybe, why i am having the problem, since I have SP1 installed?
thanks

Pro Member First Officer

Hello simmers,
I would "like" to know how the other forum simmers had problems with an "issue" of SP1 and Vista - really -
I know mine went flawless and others on this forum have had no issues with Vista & SP1 -
Thanks
cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

cthiggin,
I couldn't agree more. I have same experience with you. I love Vista. I have same card with E6700 and 4 G Ram. You are right-on. If there's a Vista prob with FSX SP1, I cannot find it. The generic fix would be latest drivers, reinstall, etc. SP1 shoould be installed with pristine cfg files. So I uninstalled FSX, reinstalled, then SP1. The weird thing I could not figure out is that on several reinstalls FSX refused to create shortcuts in Program Files or on desktop. I tried everything I knew, and made sure no mention of FSX was in registry...Finally, I gave up and created my own shortcuts. Anyone else have this problem?...rob

Pro Member First Officer

To HaBu -
When I installed FSX, shortcut was made on desktop -
The only thing I had different was that UAC was turned off.

I had MS Techie tell me that with Vista, access to files in "Program Files" were limited due to layering, as in the problem with my Voice Buddy and Vista.

In any event, ALL has been well with me on Vista and FSX.

Appreciate your comment

kantk2007 Guest

I understand that my PC is nowhere near the best in the world. I am one of the unlucky ones to have some problems, so please help. For some reason, when I load FSX, the ultralight that is the default starter doesn't work. It says : Aircraft initialization failure: Aircreation Trike Ultralite 128SL, although I have not touched the ultralight folder!! the same thing is happening to the robinson helicopter. All the other planes work fine... Another thing I have noticed is that in free flight, when I start, my engines are off, gauges and lights not working etc.. when I try to switch on the engines with Ctrl + E, it doesn't work!!! Everything was fine in Windows XP...
thanks

kantk2007 Guest

another quick, stupid question:
What is UAC?
Sorry if it is obvious.. but i'm new to vista

Pro Member First Officer

Vista - UAC - User Account Control
This "feature" is a layering/protection mechanism in Vista. IF "everytime" you open up something/anything, and a box pops up asking for permissions, YOU have been introduced to UAC.
With FSX as well as add-on's such as VoiceBuddy, which have to access files in "program-files", UAC and Vista Layering will shut you down, in most cases with a "program not responding", which all know what that is.

MS does NOT like for you to turn off UAC, but again, I'm the end-user and want my programs to work. Had to install FSX and VoiceBuddy in the root of C:\ for them to work 100 correct.

To turn off UAC, at your own risk (this statement will keep MS happy), in your search bar, type in UAC / or / user account control, open it up and disable it.

IF this does not correct your problem - turn it back on and move on to trouble-shooting other areas.

Hope this helps?

cthiggin

kantk2007 Guest

thanks guys... I have managed to get it working. Thank for all the help!!! 😀

kantk2007 Guest

wait...so all I can do is cut the FSX folder and paste it in C😕
Although I believe it will take a lot of time to paste a 50GB folder!!!

Pro Member First Officer

Yes, you "could" do that, but in "most" cases, you will have problems due to the installation installing certain registry keys that "point" to the Programs Folder.
I had to "uninstall" FSX and reinstall program in the root of C:\ -
Yes, reinstallation is time cosumming, pain in the gazoo, BUT, it sure beats putting up with the inconsistencies you experience with FSX not working properly.

Hope this may help - been there, done that!

cthiggin

kantk2007 Guest

ok thanks guys... I will reinstall it in the root of my C: I also upgraded my CPU to 2.5 gigs, which helped a lot!! Thanks for all the help!! 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...