Different setting for different landing weight?

Guys, I have a question. In FS9 do you need different landing setting (speed, flap and pitch) for different landing weight?

I have tried to land at kennedy airport with 777-200 with fuel load above 80%. I set my APP on. ATC cleared my to land at 1900 feet. My speed was 180 at flap 30. Pitch 5 degree when I reached the green arrow. I hardly could see the beginning of the runway, because my plane nose was pointing up to high. Finally my plane crash when I touched down the runway.

I open my save file, I tried to change the fuel load to 30%. ATC cleared my to land at 1900 feet. I set APP on. Now I could see the runway from 7 mile. I set the speed at 180 flap 30. Picth at -5 degree when I reached the green arrow, but this time my plane nose dive down all the way until I reached the runway. Once again, I crashed to the runway.

What when wrong? Please help me.

Suppose if I repeat my flight not from my save file, do you think that ATC will clear me for lower altitute if I have less fuel?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

That is far too heavy for landing, you would need to use up more fuel or just not load the aircraft with so much fuel when departing. You should plan to land with around 15% fuel, then it will be more sucessful

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

In very basic terms.....the forces acting on the ac are weight, lift, drag and thrust. Lift weight act in opposition as do thrust and drag. So if you increase weight then lift must be increased. You can increase lift by raising the angle of attack of the wing or flying faster. It appears in this case (first landing) you were too slow for the weight hence high nose attitude. Real world you would not try landing at this weight unless absolutely necessary.
Second scenario you were too fast. For different weights there are different approach speeds.

It might help to use the Cessna first to get the approach right then convert to the 777. I just tried JFK all up weight 100% in all tanks and approached at 190kias without a problem...don't forget to lower the ROD before touchdown.

So to fly aircraft in FS9, Do you have to take weight into your considerations before take off and landing?

Does ATC take the weight of my aircfrat to determine the final approach altitute, before ATC clear me for landing?

The blue light at the beginning of the runway, what does it mean? Why at some runways, you do not have this light?

Also why at some runway you do not have the 4 light (2 white and 2 red) landing indicators?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

1. So to fly aircraft in FS9, Do you have to take weight into your considerations before take off and landing?

2. Does ATC take the weight of my aircfrat to determine the final approach altitute, before ATC clear me for landing?

3. The blue light at the beginning of the runway, what does it mean? Why at some runways, you do not have this light?

4. Also why at some runway you do not have the 4 light (2 white and 2 red) landing indicators?

1. Yes
2. No
3. The blue lights are taxiway lights. Airports have different configurations. The blue light(s) are just where the taxiway meets the runway.
4. Those lights are approach path indicators that help the pilot approach at a safe angle. They are different types( VASI, PAPI, etc...). They are not required and only serve as an aid to landing on some runways. The decision to install on one runway and not others is based on obstacles, featureless terrain(night landings) and money. Often runways that are used in bad weather(instrument approaches to low conditions) will have approach path lights. 🙂

CRJCapt, what I meant with blue light is the Runway end Strobes/Lead-in lights. Not the one on the taxiway.

You should plan to land with around 15% fuel, then it will be more sucessful

In the real world, sometimes when the weather disallowed aircraft to land, pilot will be asked to turn the aicraft back to base (departuring airport) or to other closet available runway. Suppose if I only have 15% fuel left, would that be enough to do that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Those lights are called REIL's Runway End Identification Lights. They consist of two synchronized flashing lights that are normally white. These lights aid the pilot in locating the end of the runway especially in poor visibility.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REIL

Diversion fuel
Fuel in aircraft is not measured in %. The fuel required to get to the alternate depends on type of aircraft, fuel burn rate and distance to alternate. Normal IFR reserves are 45 minutes. So normally you would have fuel to destination, to an alternate(if required) then 45 min. more of fuel. 15% fuel in a Boeing 737-400 is about 5000 lbs. The burn rate at 10,000 Ft. is about 6000 Lbs/Hour. You can divert to an alternate but it should be very close(50-60 miles).

thanks very much, great explanation 😀 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...