Autothrottle Issue!

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I usually fly in the Boeing 737-700 from PMDG and whenever I start to taxi to the runway, the throttle works perfectly fine. After take-off the throttle still works fine and I usually then switch to autothrottle to control the speed for the rest of the flight. But usually whenever I descent and approaching the runway, I reduce the speed through autothrottle and set my flaps, but usually this is quite annoying to keep changing so therefore I switch autothrottle off but then I can't control it manually. My speed just keeps falling and I have to use F1 and F4 to control the speed until touchdown. After touchdown it again works. Why is that and how do I solve that problem?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

f4 is full throttle, f1 is no throttle, so if these keys work then your throttle is working. use f3 to make your throttle go up a bit and f2 to make it go down a bit.

Pro Member First Officer

Yes my throttle is working but just when i switch off autothrottle before touchdown it momentarily stops, but I think I'm missing a procedure.

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

I fly the PMDG 737NG and I usually just use the autothrottle at the app speed specified in the FMC.

This is just my preference as it reduces the work load on approach. Afterall, in real life the work load is shared. In FS you perform two people's jobs! 😉

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Mc_, I think what you're referring to is that when you switch the Auto Thrt off it allows the engines to spool down slowly and completely to a much lower RPM before slowly working its way back to what is generally needed to maintain a safe airspeed on approach and then on to final is that correct sir?

Pro Member First Officer

You got it. Well at least I think that's why the throttle doesn't work. What should be done then?

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Mc_, I'm not to familiar w/ the model but you could try changing the throttle_rate in aircraft.cfg -That requires going further than you may wish to go?

Pro Member First Officer

Hmm, I'll give it a try, but I'll make a back-up in case things cock up. Yet I've never had this problem.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

I have not experienced what you say you are experiencing becasue I use a Joy Stick. But what I have found out to be useful is with a Joy Stick you atleast you have athrottle quadrant and that can make a difference in your controlling the landing. Consider a Joy Stick they are dirt cheap now.

I hope that this helps.

Pro Member First Officer

edr1073 you got me wrong. I do have a joystick with a throttle, but that joystick's throttle momentarily stops functioning for some reason when I'm on short-final as I disable Autothrottle, and rather control it manually for a smooth touchdown.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Ok I hadn't read that in your post. What I have found is if I move the throttle up and then down I try to fix it at about 50% and then backoff as needed depending on the conditions as I get closer to touchdown. Is this in FS9 or FSX? I do not have FSX yet so I don't know anything about that little jewel yet.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...