Carb Heat

Pro Member Trainee
JLaw Trainee

Hello all, thanks for all the great information on this site. Lots of really good info for folks like myself who can't afford the real thing yet and take the "game" WAY to serious!! 😂

I have a question on carb heat and how it's used in real airplanes. I spend most of my time in a C152 and Piper Warrior by justflight.com, their Flying Club cd to be exact. I see that it's said in the checklist to apply carb heat before reducing power for the descent. Is carb heat neccessary all the time when reducing power, or reducing power for descent, or just reducing power for a quick altitude change? What if you're flying at 2000' above Houston, TX in the middle of summer? Forgive my ignorance, just trying to learn a few things here, probably the first question of many!

Thanks in advance, and thank you for a great web site.

JLaw

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Carburetor heat is required whenever you reduce power, even in the summer, because of the reduction in the temperature within the carb. This temperature reduction, along with reduced clearance of the throttle plate(when in the idle position), can cause ice to form with a outside temperature of even 70 degrees F. 🙂

Read page 83(book page Chapter 5-6) in this PDF file of The Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge from the FAA.

Pro Member Trainee
JLaw Trainee

WOW! 😳

Thats a wealth of information there, thank you for the link!

JLaw

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

Carb heat also aids in keeping the engine warmer when you are decending so that you don't shock cool the engine.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...