Heat Shimmer

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Yes, engine heat shimmer, has anyone actually come accross an add-on for heat shimmer ❓ not for AI, but to add to aircraft we fly in the sim ?
I have seen some files in Avsim etc, but I dont exactly want to start going into aircraft/panel cfg files and changing lines here and there. I dont know how difficult it would be 🙄 but I would have thought someone would have written a program/add-on for heat shimmer and released it, a self installer I mean, I'd pay for it if one was available.

Just a thought. 🙄

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The only ones I have seen are by Nick someone (can't remember the surname) and involve a lot of editing of .cfg files and even then I never got it to work Dont Know

I've never come across another heat shimmer addon 😞

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

I know what you mean Jon, I've seen all the (Nick's add-ons etc) and I did try once awhile back after I backed up my FS9 folder, but like you, did'nt work for me either. Maybe something for the future for someone to release, I think it would be popular if someone pulled it off, a straight forward self installing heat shimmer add-on 🙄 because I dont know anything about or whats involved in writing such programs, maybe it's not that easy Dont Know , thanks for your reply Jon. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Thanks. Nice looking downloads but they look too similar to the other downloads I've tried with a 22 page readme Whistle

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Wing-man wrote:

Yes, engine heat shimmer, has anyone actually come accross an add-on for heat shimmer ❓ not for AI, but to add to aircraft we fly in the sim ?
I have seen some files in Avsim etc, but I dont exactly want to start going into aircraft/panel cfg files and changing lines here and there. I dont know how difficult it would be, but I would have thought someone would have written a program/add-on for heat shimmer and released it, a self installer I mean, I'd pay for it if one was available.

Just a thought.

This is an excellent way of getting your head around a few issues at the same time Wing-man 😀

If it's the Engine Exhaust System we're dealing with, get ees_v32.zip off Radarman's link, it's the most recent and complete version. I have a hunch it's also the file Jon is referring to with the 22 page manual. It took me months to gather up the courage to wade through that manual one day for "just a bit of smoke".
I can assure you though it's worth the effort ❗

First of all, the manual is very well written and it's best to be kept rather than discarded for future references. If you're prepared to set time aside to study the manual without skipping paragraphs, you'll be surprised how things start falling into place and you'll wonder what the apprehension was all about.

After you've edited the aircraft.cfg's of more than one of the aircraft on the list, it becomes evident why no-one has written a self installing add-on... trust me. You can't do any damage really, as the few 'effects' and 'gauges' to be added have been reworked and tweaked over and over by the author. I've never experienced any problems or conflicts at all.

Though, needless to say, you'll back up your .cfg files before you start editing, you'll probably find that in some instances you won't even bother after a while, because in cases where you only add lines instead of changing existing ones -- you'll remember what you just added anyway.

My compliments go to Martyn Becker for a great effort and a Manual so well written that even I can understand it

Idea

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

Wing-man wrote:

I have seen some files in Avsim etc, but I dont exactly want to start going into aircraft/panel cfg files and changing lines here and there. I dont know how difficult it would be, but I would have thought someone would have written a program/add-on for heat shimmer and released it, a self installer I mean, I'd pay for it if one was available.

Just a thought.

This is an excellent way of getting your head around a few issues at the same time Wing-man 😀

If it's the Engine Exhaust System we're dealing with, get ees_v32.zip off Radarman's link, it's the most recent and complete version. I have a hunch it's also the file Jon is referring to with the 22 page manual. It took me months to gather up the courage to wade through that manual one day for "just a bit of smoke".
I can assure you though it's worth the effort ❗

First of all, the manual is very well written and it's best to be kept rather than discarded for future references. If you're prepared to set time aside to study the manual without skipping paragraphs, you'll be surprised how things start falling into place and you'll wonder what the apprehension was all about.

After you've edited the aircraft.cfg's of more than one of the aircraft on the list, it becomes evident why no-one has written a self installing add-on... trust me. You can't do any damage really, as the few 'effects' and 'gauges' to be added have been reworked and tweaked over and over by the author. I've never experienced any problems or conflicts at all.

Though, needless to say, you'll back up your .cfg files before you start editing, you'll probably find that in some instances you won't even bother after a while, because in cases where you only add lines instead of changing existing ones -- you'll remember what you just added anyway.

My compliments go to Martyn Becker for a great effort and a Manual so well written that even I can understand it

Idea

Thanks for the reply Tailhook 👍 after reading through all your post, you've talked me into giving it ago. Like you say, if I read through all the manual without skipping, I can't really do any damage to any files, I'll post the outcome when I get it sorted. 😉

Thanks for the link RM. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

So I've managed to 'talk you into it'? I regard that as an achievement and a compliment at the same time 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...