Who uses FS for real world instrument flying practice?

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Just curious. I purchased FS as a way to keep up with my instrument flying skills while I finished my last year and a half in the military flying a desk. Are there many other folks who use this to help with instrument proficiency or are most casual gamers?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

well I use it to learn to fly I tought myself everything from takeing off a cessna to landing the concorde programming the fmc I use it to teach myself and to learn more whick mite explain my obbsessin with planes lol 😂

Don Wood Guest

I use FS9 for instrument proficiency. It is not a completely realistic simulation and cannot be logged as simulator time for FAA logs but it does help. I also use it to save a bit of money executing approaches I don't often use in my real-world flying such as DME arcs, ADF approaches, and VOR approaches. I find FS9 much more difficult to align and stay aligned with the runway and when I'm in the real airplane, it is much smoother. On the other hand, FS9 does not model the effects of crosswinds very realistically and those are more of a challenge in the real thing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I use it for practice also.

Pro Member Trainee
Brian B. (valcan222) Trainee

well, I use it for some practice although it is nothing like the real thing, before I got my ATP, and my Instrument rating I used it for practice. That was a big mistake, although it is a great sim, it is a sim... not real, before I started my instrument traning I thought it was great but I built alot of bad habbits out of it too. A few years ago when I started for my IFR and ATP I had to really work to get some of thoes habbits out of my system, now flying for a airline ( just so all of thoes who rember me, thats where I have been, getting my ATP and starting flying for a airline just so you all know, i just didnt leave lol) I know that flight sim is good and all, but its not the real thing so dont get so cought up in flying fs9 that you build habbits for real life if you do that. belive me you will kick yourself in the rear if you do lol. but over all it dose have most of the basics so if you want to use it for some simple practice then i say go for it. and have fun.

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Volcan,

How about flying the simulator now??I mean with the good habits developed how does it feel to fly the simulator..

Pro Member Trainee
Brian B. (valcan222) Trainee

honstly its nothing like the real thing, i mean the guages work relitivly the same, but there is no feeling like flying a real plane, but flight sim is a good way to have fun and relax

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

i learned how tot fly basic IFR with it. Same with VFR and what not. It doesn't cover everything, but I think most of us could agree that it's a good place to start.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

The default FS doesnt have rea;istic ATC. You need to get Radar Contact to fly realistic IFR.

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

This might be of interest to you.

http://www.microsoft.com/GAMES/FLIGHTSIMULATOR/fs2000_articles_usnavy1.asp

Radar

wowww radar man ....good find...and this surely will uplift the spirit of members at flyaway...Guys did u check the home made cockpits made by people to simulate the actual cockpit..visit www.projectmagenta.com and check the references section....This takes FS to a new world....Just wondering how does it feel to fly in those cockpits... 😀

Last edited by to_coolguys on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

valcan222 wrote:

honstly its nothing like the real thing, i mean the guages work relitivly the same, but there is no feeling like flying a real plane, but flight sim is a good way to have fun and relax

yeah definitely agree with you.And that's why it cost millions of dollars to enjoy that feel...What else can we expect from the desktop simulation..It provides the best it can in 50$..The most important thing is people get to learn of aircrafts and the procedures etc with FS...although not fully..But atleast educated.... 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...