service pack 2 update

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

just recieved my sp2 update disc today, i have avg and sygate firewall running so dont know if i need to install sp2 i only have fs9 on my pc, also has anyone had problems after the update, what do you recommend.

jimimac

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm waiting a few more months, I still hear horror stories.
They MS figured 10% problems, I don't want to be a statistic.
If you have a firewall and an AV your ok. Just download the regular updates not the SP2 updates.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

i gonna wait a while longer

thanks jimimac

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 I've installed it and had no problems

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

I installed it and lost all internet capability. It could no longer find my high speed internet provider. I uninstalled it, and all was well. Anyone have a clue what caused my problem? I'm using ZoneAlarm.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Ermm... SP2 has its own firewall and that was probably stopping your internet access
Its almost the same as Zonealarm,in that anything trying to gain access out of your pc must be validated by you(normally in a popup box like ZA)
As SP2 was realy just a protection update and you allready have a firewall you should be ok

If you feel the need to try again the access point for the firewall and new antivirus can be gained via the Control panel/windows security centre

I have ZA and Eazyantivirus running along with the new security centre

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

DO NOT download updates from Microsoft for XP unless you are having operating issues.

Most of the updates that are there nobody truly needs.

They take up space on your hard drive and some rob your computer of RAM.

This is exactly what a Network IT Pro told me about the automatic updates feature of XP. I shut it and system restore off.

Make a back-up of all your files before you sut of System Restore. That program robs a ton of memory.

My computer has SP2 on it and I haven't noticed anything on my system.

The firewall is nice, but it's a take it or leave it type thing. I like Zone Alarm Pro much better, so that is what I use.

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

what software do you use for backing up files

jimimac

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

I use one that Dell has on its systems when you buy them.

There are a bunch of freeware ones that are out there though.

I will ask him what he recommends when I talk to him next.

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I have no any problem with PS2. I am using Norton ghost to backup
the all operating sys and it is coming out a very reliable and fast tool
for backup, clean up in case of viruses restore previous or good setups

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i downloaded and installed sp2 and lost everything! poxy microsoft! Censored
Meant i had a good day or 2 without my flights!
Dont go there unless vital

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's a bummer, just why I haven't loaded it.
You can go to Windows Update and read it carefully. It will describe how to get the regular updates without using any of the SP2 updates.

There is also a SP2 block that you can install, it'll stop SP2 from installing while you still download the normal "critical" updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...