FRAME PROBLEM WITH FSX IN HIGH END SYSTEM

Pro Member Trainee
chrismardel Trainee

I have installed FSX and now I have both FSX and FS2004 in my computer but I use only FS2004 because I'm very disappointed with FSX. I have an AMD Athlon 2.12, 80Gig hard drive, 1Gig of Memory, and an ATI 512MB Video Card. I would think that should be enough to get a good kick out of FSX. However, It works with a horrible frame performance and jerky images as if I were flying in slow motion, and that's not even with the highest resolution in the settings tab. I would have to use the lowest quality of everything (scenery, weather, aircraft,etc...) to be able to fly well and that would make graphics really crappy and not worth the use at all. Any suggestions on what I can do? Please help!!!!!

Last edited by chrismardel on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest

You should try defrag your hard disk since you are running on a old hard dist of just 80 gig.

Pro Member Trainee
chrismardel Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

You should try defrag your hard disk since you are running on a old hard dist of just 80 gig.

I have already defragged it. I know there are 8 million gig hard drives nowadays hehe, but I would think 80 gig is pretty good. I still have half of it empty. I even got the ultimate defrag which defrags your HD better than the default windows defragger. Thanks for your input though 😉

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

You are still extremely low in the memory department, and if you use only one hard drive, then your simulator will still run choppy due to the systems resources that Windows need to operate. Also, I would ditch the ATI video card and pick up a couple of Nvidia GeForce SLi cards (you might also need to change the motherboard too).

However if you still want to try FSX with your current system, you'll need to crank your settings on the FSX really low.

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

try to put your FPS at 20-25 no more, and all your settings to mediumhigh.
if not i have a bad message for you its foormat you drive 😂 thats all what i can say, give ideas guys comeon....

chrismardel1 Guest

GundamWZero wrote:

You are still extremely low in the memory department, and if you use only one hard drive, then your simulator will still run choppy due to the systems resources that Windows need to operate. Also, I would ditch the ATI video card and pick up a couple of Nvidia GeForce SLi cards (you might also need to change the motherboard too).

However if you still want to try FSX with your current system, you'll need to crank your settings on the FSX really low.

So 1 GiG of memory is low? how much do you think I should have?. would 2 gig be ok? May be I could improve on the memory department if motherboard lets me do so. Thank you for the advice on the ATI card. Unfortunately, I just got it and getting a new hard drive or a second one, or even a different video card, or a new motherboard would probably be a good idea too but my request for advice is more along the lines of "What can I do with my current system without cranking FSX settings to low, which would make the game look very crappy anyways, and without spending $2000 bucks or more in a new super system". If I had the money, I would definitely do it and not need to post here, but it's not the case lol. Thank you for the advice on the memory. I'll look into buying some more memory

chrlsmardel Guest

tiger7881 wrote:

try to put your FPS at 20-25 no more, and all your settings to mediumhigh.
if not i have a bad message for you its foormat you drive 😂 thats all what i can say, give ideas guys comeon....

Thank you!!!!. I will try with that setting first as well as the FPS as you indicated and see what happens. I appreaciate alll your posts. Keep them coming please if you have any other ideas. I know I'm not the only one with this issue. Cheers!

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

chrismardel1 wrote:

GundamWZero wrote:

So 1 GiG of memory is low? how much do you think I should have?. would 2 gig be ok? May be I could improve on the memory department if motherboard lets me do so. Thank you for the advice on the ATI card. Unfortunately, I just got it and getting a new hard drive or a second one, or even a different video card, or a new motherboard would probably be a good idea too but my request for advice is more along the lines of "What can I do with my current system without cranking FSX settings to low, which would make the game look very crappy anyways, and without spending $2000 bucks or more in a new super system". If I had the money, I would definitely do it and not need to post here, but it's not the case lol. Thank you for the advice on the memory. I'll look into buying some more memory

Oh yeah!!! One gig is way too low! And 2 Gigs isn't quite enough either.....I am running 2 gigs and I have to kick the settings embarrasingly low. Also, if you run with a Dual Core Processor, you'll find out the frame rate will be a hell of alot faster, even when you try to max out the settings.

DeGrab Guest

Hello

I was just browsing forums to see if fsx has a problem with dual core processors. I have a P Core 2 E6400, 320GB, 2GB ram, Asus P5B-E motherboard, Asus x1950pro 256mb graphics, winxp sp2. I don't know exactly when fsx was released but I'm pretty sure it was before I got this computer, so I was really surprised that even with low scenery settings and no autogen I got maximum 22-25 fps, but only at certain views and they were not constant, at normal scenery settings I got 12-17 fps maybe. So what is going on? I noticed that only one of the processors was working at 100%, the other one was around 10-15%. So obviously fsx has a problem with dual proc. or is there a problem with my machine? Thank you for any kind of answer.

DeGrab Guest

I've searched around some more and found some answers. Thanks anyway.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...