Heavy Jet assistance

Pro Member Trainee
Gunner Trainee

Need some heavy jet help. Airspeed indicates I am overspeed at around 350 knots when the class of aircraft is capable of much more. Also, around 12,000 feet, the aircraft pitches up, stalls, and I loose around 6,000 feet on autopilot. I can climb past FL120 without AP, and then engage at whatever flight level assigned, but what's up? 😞

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Elkin Guest

Hey there! This sounds like a case where someone wandered out to a 747, got in it and tried to fly it!!!

This program has realism plugged into it where you have to almost be a pilot!!!!! You MUST read the documentation. These planes are not the real thing, but the systems and aerodynamics are very close to the real thing.

I C-172, well, this is a point and go airplane!! But the big ones,,, well, You need to do it 'By the Numbers'. Take the flight sim instructional classes again and find what you may have missed. It is a great program, but you can not jump in the jets and go!!!

You will be way behind! You will be on the runway while the jet is climbing out.

elkin Guest

Just a little more here.

Jets and large aircraft operate thus: 1- They are very sensitive to the touch. BIG TIME!!! You make an input and the response is a few moments later. This is because they are so big and heavy (Push a marble across the floor, and there it goes. Push a bowling ball,, and you got another thing going!!!)

2- The large planes are very '#'s' sensitive. I.e. you must set very precise settings and 3's and then wait for the aircraft to respond. For example, depending on the weight of the airplane, you have to set a certain trim value, a certin power setting, a certain flap setting, acertain nose up pitch attitude. You have to 'rotate' the plane at a precise moment. And even then! You cannot just keep pulling back until you are in the air!!!!

You see? It is all about plugging in the correct 3's.

You have to be ahead of the aircraft. Like a ship!!! You cannot just put on the brake and come to a stop!!! You have to start slowing WAYYYyyyyy back there.

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

elkin wrote:

You see? It is all about plugging in the correct 3's.

Okay, I'll bite. What the heck are 3's??? 😕

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

haha beats me!
If I may....
Find yourself an airport with a large runway...andrews AFB would suit you fine. Set the fuel at about 50% so you don't take off with maximum weight and set your flaps to no more than 15 degrees.
Set your VS to 2000 on the AP and your speed to 250kts below 10,000(if you wanna keep it real).
Make sure you have FS9 configured to show indicated airspeed....I think this is why your getting an overspeed warning. Above FL200 set mach (.80 and never over .86 is the usual figure) speed instead of ias. If you open the gps you'll see that your airspeed is mucho less than your current ground speed (which is the one the gps shows).

If you're stalling with an add on plane try a different one....a few are misconfigured. For example I downloaded a 747 that can't climb past FL260 ever if your VS is 100 and your speed 300kts.
If you see you can't keep your airspeed up with a VS of 2000 down it a little.....but that's my usual climb rate up to FL330. Rember to retract your flaps when you've gained sufficient airspeed and altitude.

Let us know how you do......Fire_emblem_master is the heavy flyer around here I guess he can comment some more.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Your airspeed indicator essentially measures aerodynamic pressure, That is a critical thing to remmember. At altitude I.E. 30000'+ an indicated airspeed of 290-300 kts equates to around 460-470 kts true, ground speed being dependant on winds aloft. As for stalling out at 12000' there is more than likely a glitch in your program.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Your speeds that you want to be concerned with however are all going to be indicated airspeeds.

True airspeed is nothing more than the speed that you are moving through the mass of air. There are no climb or performance standards that are set on True airspeed because it can vary with temperature and pressure.

All planes operate this way. Make yourself a chart of Vspeeds and print it out. Next, put a chart of what you want to set your climb rate at for certain altitudes.

Example: The CRJ-200 is set for rotation at 146kts at 51,000 lbs. Once I pull back, I raise gear after a positive rate of climb. After hitting V2+25 (about 180 kts) my flaps retract as do the spoilers being armed.

When I am "clean" I set the indicated airspeed at 245 and climb away at 2500 fpm until I hit 10,000 feet. From 10k-15k I speed up to 290 and set my climb at 1500 fpm. Above FL200, my climb goes to 1000fpm. After level off, I set my indicated airspeed to what I need to make my destination on time, usually about 280-290 kts.

Once you do the take off sequence a few times, the numbers will automatically come to you and you won't need to look at that chart any longer.

Taking the lessons within FS9 will def help as well. Some jets have aerodynamics that make them rather difficult to operate slow and dirty. That's just the way things are. That's why pilots get the big bucks!

BTW, the bowling ball analogy was a good one! I'm going to use that one if you don't mind.

Elkin Guest

Oh! You guys are tough!!! Crying or Very sad It should have said ' #'s' You know? As in 'The correct numbers'. Sorry. It is amazing what a typo will do as far as creating confusion.

Pro Member Trainee
Gunner Trainee

😂 Wow! Great responses. Thanks to all!! Indicated Air speed setting solved my confusion. Still can't figure out why the big boys won't climb past FL120 on autopilot. Hate to reload the program since I have also loaded all the MegaScenerys available. Thanks again....great information!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

They will climb above FL120, you just can't climb out at 2200FPM that high up. Bring your climb rate down to around 1500 or so for cruise climb.

You ought to read up on the jet before you fly it. Seems like you're a little lost as far as everyting goes. How do you land it, and how well do u do at landing it? If you're having a rough time, let me know, because ALL i fly are jets. I can also give you a near perfect idiot's giude to ILS approach and landing!

Happy Flying!

Elkin Guest

Even the real jets cannot buster on up to altitude. The new fan jets do pretty good but the older ones had to do what is called 'step climbing' The aircraft was heavy with fuel and simply could not climb well past certain altitudes. When the jet was struggling to glimb at around 3-5 hundred feet per minute, the crew would level off, wait for the fuel to burn off a little, and up they would go!!!
Climbs now are based on the coordinated amount of fuel burn (weight reduction) and speed/ rate of climb. So that it all comes together.

Yeah baby

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...