using autopilot ONLY for throttle and not heading

trancemania Guest

Hi There,

I hope someone has experienced this before.

Im flying the Level d 767.

I want the auto pilot ONLY to control the speed of the plane on approach

I want to line it up manually but i dont know how to do it.The autopilot doesnt let me control the ailerons.

With freeware planes however i can do this no problem.Maybe im missing something.

Ive tried asking Level d but they dont respond to me.

I would really appreciate any help on this.THANKS!!

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest

I have the Project Opensky 767 and have found that it is often necessary to use the auto-throttle to aid in manual landings. Otherwise, this aircraft will bleed off speed faster than I am ready for it to and It will slam down onto the runway. The auto-throttle will maintain an airspeed required to make a fairly decent landing with what I believe I've heard referred to here as a "flying brick". Seems like an airspeed up around 160 knots is about right. On all the aircraft I have, you can engage the auto-throttle without turning on the auto-pilot, leaving you in control of everything else.

Hope this helps

Guest Guest

Thanks.

That didnt help my cause.

i can do it with POSKY as well.But with level d 767 it doesnt.

thanks anyways

NSX Guest

Well correct me if I'm wrong but you can just disengage the auto-pilot and leave the A/T switch on together with the speed hold button.

Seen that on the angle of attack video, the guys hand lands the plane switching the A/T off at 50 feet.

Btw, great plane isn't it? 😉

Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

In Level D it should and does!

Three components to the "automatic" flight contol on the 767 (757 also):

1. Autopilot
2. Flight Director (cross hairs on the artificial horizon or EADI)
3. Autothrottle (or autothrust)

There are TWO ways of flying automatically:

1. Through the MCP or Mode Control Panel by selecting speeds headings altitudes or vertical speeds.
2. Through the FMC which itself will decide the speeds headings e.t.c. based on your input data.

The autopilot has various modes of contol: Altitude, Heading, Vertical Speed. LNAV and VNAV are auotpilot modes which effectively couple the auotpilot with the FMC.

The autothrottle is not part autopilot system. As such it has a separate switch and can be used independently. So, in theory you could be hand-flying the aircraft by climbing and turning but with the autothrottle maintaining your selected speed - and remember that you must select a speed in the speed window for it to maintain. The engines will power up or down to try to acheive the speed.

That why, as pointed out, pilots can choose to disengage the autopilot but leave the autothrottle engaged whilst flying.

Another classic example is during takeoff. You "arm" the autothrottle by switching it on. Select a speed that you want to climb out at in the speed window. And when cleared for takeoff you press the N1 button and the throttles move up automatically. Once airborne they'll maintain your chosen speed by guiding you with the flight directors, if you've pitched up too much you might lose a bit of speed so they'll commnd a pitch down. All this whilst you're flying it by hand!

Hope this helps.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

That's a good post above by Renesis.
It is not as easy as you may think though, handflying with SPD Hold, and from my experience I'd say there are two factors involved;

First being that throttle should be used for pitch control, and elevator trim should be used for speed control. In the scenario you are describing you're using A/T for speed control, to me it seems like the LDS767 just doenst like that very much. Secondly, when flying the LDS763 manually with SPD Hold engaged you will find that once you start pitching up or down, A/T will react very quickly in increasing/decreasing throttle, accelerating the climb or descend, making it much more difficult to maintain level flight.
You may want to consider to just find the approximate powersetting for a certain speed, let the plane settle in, and then use minor throttle adjustments to maintain level flight.

Also, you can't compare the Posky 767 and the Level D 763ER really, they're just two completely different things.

Oh and 160 kts is much too high, this baby lands at anywhere between 137 and 145 kts, (flaps 30) depending on weight.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...