Weired problem with the auto-throttle

Wile E Coyote Guest

This problem has never occurred in Flight Simulator 2002.

I have my 737 in cruise altitude with all the autopilot features I need turned on: altitude hold, nav hold, yaw dumper and airspeed hold (auto-throttle). When I fly with the autopilot I change the heading by swiching to "heading hold", and changing the heading bug. When I do this in a left turn, the auto-throttle decreases power and airspeed drops (while maintaining altitude), until I go back to level flight. When I do this in a right turn, the auto-throttle increases power and the airspeed rises (sometimes above the "Vne" speed of 340 KIAS!).

Does anyone have this problem? Please help.
Thank you in advance!

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Very, Very Strange problem. Do you have any kind of external desktop based flight controls? Are they linked somehow? Are you pressing both at same time? I know these are very stupid questions, but this is a very strange problem 😕

Wile E Coyote Guest

None of what you've mentioned.

Generally I use a joystick (SideWinder Force Feadback 2). When I turn on the autopilot, I use it for all manuevers. I change the heading bug using a "short cut" (assignment) on the keyboard. When I do this, the airspeed/mach bug doesn't change, but the engines' RPM do change, and so does the airspeed (Boeing 737).

I know it's strange...
Anyway, it didn't happen in Flight Simulator 2002.

hobo200 Guest

well it isnt really a problem guys its all to do with the Gyro drift. in other words the force of the engine fans spinnig anti-clockwise. Before you turns just reduce airspeed about 10-15 knots. At first i thought it was some kinda glitch too. but then i read an article on it in 'Lessons' so dont worry about it just reduce speed when turning right and increase when turning left... it gives you something to do on those loooooong flights anyway.

Hack

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Wile E Coyote wrote:

This problem has never occurred in Flight Simulator 2002.

I have my 737 in cruise altitude with all the autopilot features I need turned on: altitude hold, nav hold, yaw dumper and airspeed hold (auto-throttle). When I fly with the autopilot I change the heading by swiching to "heading hold", and changing the heading bug. When I do this in a left turn, the auto-throttle decreases power and airspeed drops (while maintaining altitude), until I go back to level flight. When I do this in a right turn, the auto-throttle increases power and the airspeed rises (sometimes above the "Vne" speed of 340 KIAS!).

Does anyone have this problem? Please help.
Thank you in advance!

A while I had a simlar experience but with different commands. I am using the old MS Sidewinder 3D Pro and at times when I maneuvered the aircraft with the joystick the aircraft's flaps and landing gear would extend and retract. I found it was because I assigned flaps and landing gear to a couple of the Sidewinder's buttons. The commands were getting messed up. I delete the joystick button assignments and the problem disappeared.

Try checking your Controls Assingments in Setting. Also, there is the "reset defaults" button for Control Assignments you could use.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I too experience this and it is very unrealistic. An airliner's autopilot is designed to maintain all peramiters of flight and if the aircraft accelerates turning in one direction as much as .05 mach or decelerates turning in the other direction as much as .05 mach, it could certainly cause problems. Not to mention irritating the passengers.

To me, it sounds like Microsoft couldn't find a fix for it, so instead of admitting their defeat, created an unrealistic attribute of jet engines.

I had a tech support guy from Pro Pilot (I think that is what it was called) tell me the reason the aircraft wouldn't maintain altitude with autopilot on is because the simulator is so realistic and creates up and down drafts which cause the aircraft to ocsolate. Come on...any autopilot that couldn't maintain alitude plus or minus 3000 feet would be take out of service.

So, there must be a solution to this somewhere. Hopefully.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...