SATA HDD

Pro Member Trainee
ThePatriot76 Trainee

I have a WDJB 80G hdd 7200RPM. If I went to a SATA would it be that much faster? I really don't know much about SATA. Thanks in advance.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

SATA is really nice. Not only would improve speed but would recommend getting two drives and create a RAID-0 option. This would really 'Fly' most SATA drives come either 1.5gb/s or the newer 3.0gb/s

You need to make sure your motherboard supports SATA and/or RAID. If not you can buy a PCI adapter card.You will need a floppy drive when reinstalling Windows on this drive you have to create a RAID array and at boot up from Windows CD you have to hit f6 and install 1 to 2 supported SATA/RAID drivers. This is not for the beginner creating a RAID array, or even adding one SATA drive still requires this step because Windows does not recognize SATA ports in it's beginning state. Only legacy devices, thus is why a floppy is used and detected as well as your IDE drives. If you need help shoot me a PM and I can talk you through it when you get your drive/drives.

Later -

AstroSteve

ThePatriot76 wrote:

I have a WDJB 80G hdd 7200RPM. If I went to a SATA would it be that much faster? I really don't know much about SATA. Thanks in advance.

Pro Member Trainee
ThePatriot76 Trainee

I have had Raid in the past so I am familiar with the set up. My ASUS MB supports SATA/Raid but I was just going to get one drive. My bigger concern is that I just had to call MS to get my copy of XP Pro. Activated because when my new stuff was installed it said I had to contact them. How could I transfer my entire system onto a new SATA? Could I first make the SATA a slave and go that route?
Thanks again for the post.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

ThePatriot76 wrote:

I have had Raid in the past so I am familiar with the set up. My ASUS MB supports SATA/Raid but I was just going to get one drive. My bigger concern is that I just had to call MS to get my copy of XP Pro. Activated because when my new stuff was installed it said I had to contact them. How could I transfer my entire system onto a new SATA? Could I first make the SATA a slave and go that route?
Thanks again for the post.

I have never slaved a SATA hard drive. I am sorry I don't have an answer for you? I guess I would plug it in and power it and look to see if it's there in windows. Hmm....check the Bios to make sure SATA is enabled. Damn tough question!!!! 😂 Read 🤔

Pro Member Trainee
ThePatriot76 Trainee

Talked to my "Geek" at the local store and he said the following: "Don't buy an SATA unless you get two and put them in a Raid 0 (I Will do that) and it is possible to boot off your regular HDD and transfer data to your SATA. Having said that, I (Still him talking) strongly suggest you format your two SATA's and do a clean install, you will have much better performance that way"

I think when I get them I'll take his advice, sounds like solid information. I did get another gig of RAM so now I am running 2G and I see the difference in FSX right away.
Just thought I'd post in case someone wanted to know.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...