Which system do i purchase for FSX??

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Hi I am looking to buy a new system to run FSX and Add Ons to make the game as realistic as it can be here are a couple of specs i have found any help would be greatly appreciated.
System 1

Intel i7 4770 Quad Core 3.4Ghz Processor
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
Intel HD 4600 Graphics
2TB SATA Hard Drive
DVD-RW Dual Layer Optical Disc Drive
MSI H81M-E33 uATX Motherboard (Full specifications of this board can be found here)
500W Power Supply
High Quality Vantage BLUE Desktop PC Gaming Case
Gigabit 10 / 100 / 1000 Ethernet Port
2 X ULTRA High Speed USB 3.0 Ports
4 X High Speed USB 2.0 Ports on Back Plus 2 On Front
8 Channel HD Audio
2 X SATA III 6GB/s Ports
2 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PS/2 Port (For Keyboard / Mouse)
1 X HDMI Port
1 X VGA Port

System 2

Case : Galaxy 3 Modern Midi Tower Case
Power Supply : Aerocool VP Pro 850 Watt Branded PSU
Motherboard : Gigabyte H81M-H
CPU : Intel I7 4th Gen 4770 Quad Core 3.4Ghz (turbo 3.9Ghz) CPU
Hard Drive : 1tb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory
Graphics Card : Nvidia GTX 760 2gb (Tripple screen support via DVI / HDMI / DISPLAY PORT)
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
Connections : 6 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / LAN / Sound

System 3

INTEL i7 4770 Quad Core 3.4Ghz Processor with 3.9GHz Turbo Clocking Speeds
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
NVIDIA GTX750 Ti 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card
2TB SATA Hard Drive
DVD-RW Dual Layer Optical Disc Drive
MSI H81M-E33 uATX Motherboard (Full specifications of this board can be found here)
850W Power Supply
Galaxy Evo BLUE and RED LED Desktop PC Compute Gaming Case
Gigabit 10 / 100 / 1000 Ethernet Port
2 X ULTRA High Speed USB 3.0 Ports
4 X High Speed USB 2.0 Ports on Back Plus 2 On Front
8 Channel HD Audio
2 X SATA III 6GB/s Ports
2 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PS/2 Port (For Keyboard / Mouse)
1 X VGA Port
1 X DVI Port
1 X HDMI Port (With Audio Over HDMI Support)
This PC Supports a Maximum Of 2 Monitors.

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Just my opinion.

#2 has a better graphics card and a name brand p/s.
Since the CPU is the same as 3 your better off.
#1 seems to be a integrated video card which will give you much less FPS and it also has a lower p/s which is bad (laptop?).
Todays top tier gaming machines have 1000w to 1200w p/s so you are close enough.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Thanks Radarman will that system run the game smoothly with add ons and graphics on high to make it more realistic? I have Ulitimate Terrain USA, Europe plus the England Terrain, Ultimate Traffic 2 add ons I want to purchase an Environment software someone said REX what would you recommend also i am going to get airports on payware.

Many Thanks

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Forgot to ask would the game be in High Definition using that system or would i have to get something else for that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The only problem you may have would be running the traffic add-on at 100%
If you back off on autogen and shadows that will give more "power" to the traffic.

HD, that would be from your video card, the Sim is old now so I doubt that it would have that feature.
SLI and Crossfire doesn't work on the Sim, the Sim was built before they came out.
I hope you have the Acceleration Pack so that SP1 and SP2 can enter your Sim seamlessly.
It seems if you add it as two downloads it has problems, yes you need them both so that you can use all the cores of your multi core CPU.
Without them you would run only one core, useless with a nice system like yous.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

I have the acceleration pack not sure about the SP1 and SP2 how would these be put onto the game? Sorry if that seems dumb but pretty much just play the game and dont know too much about the ins and outs! Is it something i need to download and install or does it automatically get put on?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The Acceleration Pack has SP1 and SP2 built in.
You don't have to do anything but load it to FSX and your home free.
Best way to do it.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Yeah i loaded that when i installed FSX think it had a fighter plane on it. I am thinking now of getting a custom gaming pc built i dont have mega cash what would be the most important things to get in it ie What really good graphics card (not the most expensive) would you recommend, Power Supply? etc

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Key Features of this PC
- Quad Core processing & up to 16GB of 2400MHz DDR3 memory
- Eye Catching Black & Green Colour Scheme
- Powerful Nvidia GeForce Graphics and Software
- Flexible Specification

System Specification
- Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D Micro ATX Gaming Case - Black
- Power Supply: Super Flower 550W PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K Devil's Canyon Haswell Processor overclocked to 4.4GHz
- Motherboard: Asus Z97 Gryphon (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard
- Cooler: CPU Water Cooler
- RAM: Up to 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Primary and Secondary SSD & HDD Options Available
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX Graphics Card
- Sound: High Definition 7.1 Onboard Sound Card
- Optical Drive: Optional

There are quite a few gaming pc,s like the one above where you can add things and upgrade things but they all come with the Super Flower 550W PSU power supply or Super Flower 80+ Gold 750W i think the biggest power supply is 850W and thats on a £2500 system. It dont give me the option to upgrade the Power supply unless i try and message the shop.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It looks very good but I would get the largest p/s that I could.
Mi machine is getting long in the tooth Nowhere near what is available now) but I bought a 1000w p/s to start with.
After a while the p/s slowly looses some of it's power, if you get one too low it won't be much good in two years.
Yes everything will run but not at it full capabilities so it's better to spend the few dollars more to start with.

Check here and see what you need, I like to err on the up side.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Just clicked on the link thanks but wouldnt have a clue where to start or what to put in it i would prefer someone to say this is what you need blah blah so i know what to look for. I really not good at all this lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The link is made for those who want to feed in the specs of a new computer that they are building or having built so they can tell what size p/s they need.
I know it can be confusing so I always say buy the best that you can afford.

You'd be surprised how many threads are on different forum asking "is this a good system" and waiting for someone who builds computers for themselves to give them pointers or just an OK.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Ahhhh right i see ok cool! Different subject maybe you can help is add ons i have Ultimate Terrain Europe and USA can i use Ground Environment X Europe etc with the add ons i already have? or dont i need them or will they clash?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The last one loaded (if it covers the same area) will overwrite the previous ones.
So you want the latest release loaded last.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Ok great thanks also which traffic would you recommend? I have Ultimate Traffic 2 some people say that Traffic X is the best one do you have any views on this?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I had UT for 2004 but never bothered to get one for FSX.
I did like UT then, I don't know how good it is now.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Ok maybe stick with UT2 then

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Let us know how you like it.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Captaindanno Trainee

I built this set up and have had excellent results. If budget is tight (mine was) start with the basics then upgrade when you can. This took about a year to put together.

CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos SE w/ USB 3.0, Carrying Handles, Full Side Panel Window (all fans (7 total) replaced with (2) Cool Master 140mm 90 CFM intake and (3) NZXT Technologies NZXT FZ-140mm Blue LED Cooling 60 CFM exhaust plus (4) Akasa AK-FN063 Viper High Performance S-Flow 120 CFM for dual water cooled external radiators .

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 OC to 4.4 w/Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400

CPU COOLING: Corsair H110 Liquid Cooling 280mm radiator with 2x 140mm 120 CFM fans

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory
(Corsair Vengeance)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Expert Z87 Intel GbLAN, 3 PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 3 PCIe x1

OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair RM850 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply

TEMP CONTROLS: Aerocool Touch 1000 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Control

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

VIDEO GPU COOLING: Kraken G10 GPU Liquid Cooler.

VIDEO GPU COOLING: Corsair H110 Liquid Cooling 280mm radiator with 2x 140mm 120 CFM fans

SSD: 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 330MB/s Write (OS Only)

SSD: OCZ Technology 128GB Vector Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 7 mm Height 2.5-Inch SSD (FSX only)

SSD: OCZ Technology 128GB Vector Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 7 mm Height 2.5-Inch SSD (FSX Add on files)

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache (other programs, office, adobe, etc..)

Dedicated 8,000 BTU Portable HVAC providing cold air to intake fans

Pro Member Trainee
Damian (leggy) Trainee

Hi guys change of plan the wife wont let me get a gaming pc for FSX because of lack of space so decided to get a gaming laptop and need help please on what to get I am thinking Alienware any thoughts? also have a couple of specs below which i need advice please many thanks.

1.Vortex IV RS-880 17.3" Gaming Laptop

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Processor (2.4 GHz, 3.4 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MB cache)
RAM 16 GB DDR3 (32 GB maximum installable RAM)
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M (8 GB GDDR5)
Storage - 1 TB HDD, 7200 rpm
- 480 GB SSD

2.MSI GT70 2PC Dominator 4th Gen Core i7 16GB 1TB 2 x 128GB SSD 17.3 inch Full HD Gaming Laptop

Screen size - 17.3 in - 1920 x 1080 No
Processor - Intel Core i7 4810MQ - 2.8 GHz
RAM - 16 GB
Hard Drive - 1 TB
Operating System - Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)
Optical Drive - DVD Super-Multi
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M
Graphics Memory - GDDR5
Webcam - Yes
Warranty - 2 year warranty
Touchscreen - No

3.Alienware 17

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ Processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
Windows 8.1 Pro (64Bit) English
17.3" (439.42 mm) WLED FHD Anti-Glare Display (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M with 2GB GDDR5
256GB mSATA SSD Boot + 1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s- NV
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (9.5mm)
Software
Alienware Command Center
AlienFX™
AlienTouch™
AlienFusion
AlienAdrenaline w/ Accelerator
Alienware TactX™

Any help much appreciated

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You want the fastest CPU and the best video card.
Don't forget, if you have a 2gig card it most likely using up 2gigs from your on board ram lower it.
Get at least 8gigs ram so everything will be powered.
Unfortunately laptops have weak power supplies.
Alienware was one of the top companies, Dell bought it years ago so how it is today...I don't have any idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Northwest makes top of the line (expensive) laptops too, check them out.

Real "gaming laptops" are very expensive. You are just looking at good ones.
Good luck to you.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

So this is where you hide RM? 😂 Don't know how I arrived, but have been reading this Post with interest, and now feel very sorry for poster. Relegated to a Lap Top. The good news is FSX will run on a HQ LT, but will be limited to a lower number of add-ons.

My 3D Acer runs FSX but no other add-ons, except sp1/sp2.

So as you know, my home brew Desk Top runs FSX in 3D, but specs are high and expensive. And I am a devout user of AMD cpus, after having too much hassle with a supposedly superior intel. 🙄

As poster is in the UK., I'll add that my best deals have always been by using Novatech for all my PC requirements. Very reliable, and good service and advice when wanted.

Before parting seems busier here, than t'other place. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

So this is where you hide RM? 😂 Don't know how I arrived, but have been reading this Post with interest, and now feel very sorry for poster. Relegated to a Lap Top. The good news is FSX will run on a HQ LT, but will be limited to a lower number of add-ons.

My 3D Acer runs FSX but no other add-ons, except sp1/sp2.

So as you know, my home brew Desk Top runs FSX in 3D, but specs are high and expensive. And I am a devout user of AMD cpus, after having too much hassle with a supposedly superior intel. 🙄

As poster is in the UK., I'll add that my best deals have always been by using Novatech for all my PC requirements. Very reliable, and good service and advice when wanted.

Before parting seems busier here, than t'other place. 😉

😂 Hi, Ken,
Yes I've been here a long time, longer that "the other place".
I know it's busier here, good downloads.
Hey...I have to keep busy.
You'll never find the 3rd place I mod (actually an Admin), different user name different game.

See ya!
RM

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...