help!! end up on the grass when flying ILS inot KLAS

Capt AndyM Guest

hi guys...hope you can help!

just did KLAX to KLAS in a B747-400. Everything went great, i got cleared to land onto 25L at KLAS which is at an altitude of 2181ft.

I hit the approach button about 12-13nm out at 3,800ft which was what atc assigned me, and again everything going great, the jumbo got in line with the runway and started desending.

However, disaster!! the aircraft was desending rather eratically, the nose was going up and down and not gliding down the slipe in a neat line and i ended up on the grass a few 100 feet short of the runway

any ideas why this was????????

thanks

Andy

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

That's funny I flew into klas today with the 747 but visual 1R. I was handflying it and using an approach speed of 180 and full flaps. From what you describe I would guess you didn't have enough power in and the nose was pitching up because of the effort of the autopilot to maintain glideslope. Also if you were somehow overweight that could be a factor also. (the plane not you 🙂 )

Capt AndyM Guest

thanks for the response,

I had her at 180knts, with flaps at 30. Definately wasn't too heavy, had very little full...left KLAX with only centre tank full everything else empty.

I have just done it the other way round as well, KLAS to KLAX and again same thing, eratic nose up and down...

anyone else got any ideas why its doing this?

cheers

Andy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...