nose rises on touchdown and aircraft stalls

PapaJohn Guest

hi guys

just found this website and looks great. need some help thou!

the last few times I have flown an ILS appraoch into an airport and got over the runway, before touchdown I have turned the autopilot masterswitch off, turned off the autothrottle and then put the speed brakes up.

However, the last couple of times as soon as I have done this the aircraft nose has rises all the way up to 40degrees and the aircraft has stalled, its almost like the aircraft is trying to take off again!

any ideas why this might be?

thanks PJ

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Here are a few suggestions:
1. Autopilot and Auto-throttles(AT) should be off before 200 feet AGL, note Thrust lever position before canceling AT.

2. Don't deploy spoilers(speed brakes) below 1,000 feet AGL.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

I'll let you in on a little known secret. It's actually more fun to hand-fly the approaches than use the autopilot. However, it requires some actual skill Wink

PapaJohn wrote:

hi guys

just found this website and looks great. need some help thou!

the last few times I have flown an ILS appraoch into an airport and got over the runway, before touchdown I have turned the autopilot masterswitch off, turned off the autothrottle and then put the speed brakes up.

However, the last couple of times as soon as I have done this the aircraft nose has rises all the way up to 40degrees and the aircraft has stalled, its almost like the aircraft is trying to take off again!

any ideas why this might be?

thanks PJ

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Hey John,

Ok this answer all depends on if you were flying the A321, if you weren't just ignore this 😀 The A321 has a safety system called To/Go Take-Off and Go Around if I remember correctly. If your too low at the point of stalling coming in for a landing or just a little too slow it kicks in, full throttle and you have no control over it till it's reach it's safety altitude and speed.

It can be a pain sometimes and unfortunately there is no way to turn it off. So when your landing the A321 there is no margin for error. If this is what your refering to I had exactly the same problem, took me 2 or 3 flights before I got used to it. And it made me better! Although I don't have any specific numbers of when To/Go kicks in, you'll get the feel for it. Hope this helped.

~Sno0ze

I have experienced a raising of the nose when the spoilers are extended upon touchdown. I believe this is what he is referring to. I know for sure that it happens in the learjet. Kinda annoying when I have to force the nose wheel down when I land. I think I'll just do without the spoilers in the future.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...