ILS

Pro Member Trainee
Mark Hyder (markhyder) Trainee

I allways have probs landing at Heathrow Runway 9L using the ILS.

I got 110.30 for Runway 9L at Heathrow.

Altitude 2500, Flaps 30, Speed 157 Knts.

When I click on approach switch, the 737 goes up and the Altitude goes above 2500

What am I doing worng?

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Ensure that you are far enough out on the approach. Glideslope alive will occur at approximately 10 nm DME. Place your aircraft 15 nm out, 2500 feet, Altitude hold and Nav mode on, then select Approach mode. 🙂

Last edited by CRJCapt on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee

I think I did set that, but did not line up.

futurepilot Guest

I`m just guessing... but it could just be a bug in FS. FSX is such a big game, I wouldn`t be surprised if it was a bug. Try setting transparency with the autopilot off, then once you get the hang of it, you can fly the approach normally, but you`re not going to be able to use autopilot on the approach.

If you are having trouble with the autopilot, the easy way to deal with it is to turn the autopilot off.

Pro Member Trainee

I re-flew the flight, I landed ok, but I nearly over shot the runway. I set the autobreak as 2, I should have set it up as 3 as I was doing real weather and my wheel might have been wet as it was raining in Dublin when I takeon off.

Pro Member First Officer
Llain First Officer

Only press autopilot approach button when you see the neddle start to move on your ILS , if you press it before you have captured the ILS it will do strange things.

x pilot Guest

easier to fly it manually as the app switch will line you up but will make you decend into terrafirma... there is only a couple of runways that have a automatic landing system that will bring onto the runway, i hav edown this approach a few times ages ago so cannot remember the runway off heart, i will test out for you if want then give you all the detalis of what to do if you want?

Pro Member Trainee

x pilot wrote:

easier to fly it manually as the app switch will line you up but will make you decend into terrafirma... there is only a couple of runways that have a automatic landing system that will bring onto the runway, i hav edown this approach a few times ages ago so cannot remember the runway off heart, i will test out for you if want then give you all the detalis of what to do if you want?

I find it happen alot when I try to land at Gatwick airport. I do not know if Gatwick is below sea leavel or not.

x pilot Guest

make sure your altimeter is set correctly by pressing B....

gatwick airport is 166ft amsl

at this link with a quick simple registration you can get SID and STAR and other approach info for gatwick as it would be in real life.

Pro Member Trainee

What is the best landing speed to use at Gatwick, because the runway is short.

x pilot Guest

try about 140kts, full flap and all when you touch slam the brakes and spoilers..

Pro Member Trainee

x pilot wrote:

try about 140kts, full flap and all when you touch slam the brakes and spoilers..

Thanks

The runway is:

08R/26L 10,879 ft 3,316 m Asphalt/Concrete
08L/26R 8,415 ft 2,565 m Asphalt/Concrete

x pilot Guest

cool, so i am glad its good landings at gatwick... when i have landed there in real life as a pax in a 767 it has been a hard landing all the time, but i probably put that down to a poor air line, air zimbabwe and etc...

Pro Member Trainee

ok it not a big runway.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...