Overclocking processors

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

I've seen on ebay a Intel Quad core processor, which is usually 4x2.66GHZ. But i noticed that it was overclocked and it was running at 4x3.25GHz!

Can i do that with a Intel Core 2 Extreme (2x2.93GHz) and make that faster eg OVERCLOCKING?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes you can but you have to know what you're doing. Overclocking(OC) will increase the heat output of the processor and could make your system unstable if you go too far. It may also shorten the life of your processor. If done correctly, it can give you higher performance but like so many things in life, nothings comes for free. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

Can you overclock any proccessor or just higher end ones.

Last edited by Ryan (737FLIER) on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

How is it done though?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I can't give you the how but I think it's done on the motherboard. Certain processors are easier to overclock than others. It really comes down to the motherboard. More advanced motherboards have features that make OC easier or even possible. It's not for armatures, you could ruin you processor and/or motherboard if you don't know what you're doing. Some custom made computer companies will OC your system when you buy a system. Some will warranty the system after OC and some will not. Many OC systems use water cooling or extra big cooling fans and lots of them. I would take it to a computer repair place and get them to do it, they can tell exactly whats possible with your system.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Guys to answer your question, most processors can be overclocked to a certain degree. You have to have a motherboard that has features in the boards BIOS to overclock. You have to have a understanding about how to overclock and what key adjustments are safely required to achieve this. You have a multiplier, stepping, volatage adjustments etc. To be honest with you increasing the processor frequency by a couple of hundred does not give you an effective edge. It takes much more than that. I recommend staying away from it. I gave it up along time ago. Run everything at default no issues.

You can damage your cpu,motherboar, corrupt windows is a major one and then you have to start over installing the OS.

Stay away if you don't know what you are doing.

AstroSteve

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

A great beginner's guide for overclocking CPUs & GPUs (Graphic Processing Unit), including expectations, limitations & warnings can be found at the links below.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1803

I have a fairly new Nvidia graphics card...and didn't really see the point in overclocking a new card, but I was able to squeeze quite a bit more out of it by overclocking it & I was very happy with the improvement (especially when it comes to FSX).

Both Nvidia & ATI cards have the ability to overclock already built in (it's called Coolbits in Nvidia). I prefer the RivaTuner for overclocking and it works with both ATI & Nvidia.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Just be careful, even though modern graphic cards have overclocking built in, pay attention to the warnings...especially about overheating.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Probelms go here.

http://www.ocforums.com/

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...