Landing a 747 in St Maartin ?

has anyone tried landing a 747 in St Maartin ?
I would love to see a video of it.

Answers 27 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
tomax7 Trainee

Do it all the time in FS9...

Wink

Anonymous wrote:

has anyone tried landing a 747 in St Maartin ?
I would love to see a video of it.

Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee
Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

Take a look this one also

Flint Guest

It is most KLM (Royal Dutsch Airlines) who lands in St. Maaten / St. Martin

If you was to land here, how would it be possible. Is it just a visual approach for skilled pilots or can you use a VOR to align yourself with the runway then, control your speed and descent?

Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

How to Align centered with the Runway with using a VOR?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

shirke01 wrote:

How to Align centered with the Runway with using a VOR?

Intercept and fly inbound on the 276 degree radial(Heading 096 TO the station) PJM VOR/DME, it's on the airport.

Here in the VOR/DME runway 09 approach chart for (TNCM).

Reading instrument approach charts(IAP)

VOR approach: Pilot manually controls speed and altitude/descent rate.
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-appr.htm

Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

Im flying default fs2004 747 and still not line-up runway. its off few degree using VOR/DME

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

shirke01 wrote:

Im flying default fs2004 747 and still not line-up runway. its off few degree using VOR/DME

That's normal, a VOR approach is not that precise. That approach is only designed to get you to a point where you can see the runway.

Last edited by CRJCapt on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

Can i modify the panel.cfg file to get the Alignment Bar to appear on screen

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Articles/Alignment_Bar/index.htm

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

shirke01 wrote:

Can i modify the panel.cfg file to get the Alignment Bar to appear on screen
http://www.desktopaviator.com/Articles/Alignment_Bar/index.htm

I tried it, all it does is put a blue line at the center of the panel. You then place the runway(which you have to already see) on the line so you go straight to the runway. The line is not attached to the airport so if you can't see the runway location, you're just flying around with a blue line. It has a small value in that it may help new pilots maintain a straight visual course to the runway but it won't help you find the runway.

Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

Why some airports does not have an ILS approach?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If we're still talking TNCM, due to popular demand Delblond Christian has added an ILS to his popular scenery.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=juliana2.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

shirke01 wrote:

Why some airports does not have an ILS approach?

An ILS installation is very expensive and hard to install. There are many requirements that some airport are unable to satisfy for a safe and correct setup. Terrain, signal strength/interference and safe missed approach procedure are a few of the variables to be considered. The weather at some locations just doesn't require it, you don't need a ILS to land if the weather is good.

Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

Is there way i can add only ILS frequency on TNCM but not the scenery.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

shirke01 wrote:

Is there way i can add only ILS frequency on TNCM but not the scenery.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004afcd&DLID=67989
Note: ILS freq. is wrong on the readme file, it's 108.5

It doesn't have a ILS but if you don't care for realism, here you go. I'll see if I can find you a Mach 2 747 in case you're in a hurry to get there. 😛

Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

Thanks,
ILS frequency working on TNCM. 😎

Pro Member Trainee
Mark Hyder (markhyder) Trainee

How slow do u need to be at that airport?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

markhyder wrote:

How slow do u need to be at that airport?

Pro Member Trainee
shirke01 Trainee

What is the Normal landing speed for a 747-400 with flaps set to 30?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

From Flight Simulator knee board data:

Boeing 747-400 Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

Vref Landing Speeds

Weight-Lbs. Flaps 30 Speed-KIAS
880,000 188
837,000 182
794,000 176
751,000 170
708,000 164
665,000 159
622,000 153
579,000 147
536,000 141
493,000 135
450,000 129

Flint Guest

➡ CRJCapt, your'e GOOOOD ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Thanks, I just like helping out.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

CRJ - I can get the big boy down safely at Saint Marteen, but two things...

1. Is this airport missing a taxiway? Or are you supposed to 180 and back taxi down the runway... also, there doesn' seem to be any place large enough to bring the puppy into the gates without a wing or engine knocking into something... I know its done since I have seen videos of this approach including A320's and 747-800...

2. Im having a HARD time getting a 747 back into the air off this short runway, I can barely reach the V1 speed before reaching the end of the runway. Its a nail biting experience. Proper flaps, braking while spooling and still having a hard time getting her up... Now this is with a fully loaded 747, perhaps in reality a fully loaded 747 would not attempt to depart there?

there is a taxiway at one end.
you can click F12 to see the detail.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

JLangevin,

Response to questions:
1. You have to back taxi because there isn't a parallel taxiway. The ramp is very tight for such a large aircraft. Disregard the taxi lines on the ramp and put one wing out over the grass. If the ramp is accurate, real aircraft would have to park similarly.

2. A fully loaded 747 can't operate at TMCN, they reduce the payload and fuel for this airport. They also do a static takeoff(Hold brakes and apply full power before brake release). Reduce weight, static takeoff and use flaps 20 with the correct Rotation speed which is not given in FS kneeboard data for reduced weights.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

IIRC - 175kts is the fully loaded rotation speed? I havent checked recently..

About the gate - that is what I have been doing. I have been pulling in to the main terminal area at an angle and letting my wing hange over the grass... I assumed that is all that can be done..

I would like to note for the record, that I WAS able to get the aircraft back into the air fully loaded, however, at the pitch and thrust angle I was at, would have probably killed the folks at the beach Wink

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...