indicated vs true airspeed

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

why do some people think its better to fly fs2004 with indicated airspeed???.....i know somepeople say its becuase when flying true airspeed you could fall into a stall....but this has never happend to me...even in an approach to a runway in a 747......i also notice when i was in the learning center that it was describe the procedures of takeoff climb and curise in a 777....and it says above 10,000ft acclelerate to 320 kts....and thats impossible to do in indicated airspeed in a 777.....so what do you guys fly in???....and what do u recomend i fly in??? indicated airspeed of true airspeed?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Indicated airspeed is what real aircraft use. All airspeed limitations are in indicated airspeed. Most small aircraft and older commercial jets don't have TAS readouts. TAS varies with temperature and pressure.

You can climb at 320 KIAS in the Boeing 777 but you have to reduce your climb rate, it will climb at approx. 8 degrees pitch up. Above approx. FL 280, use Mach for speed reference. Mach speed for climb is different for each aircraft but normally in the M.70-M.75 range.

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

i c....but something im confused about...in the fs default 777 when i go passed 320 kts i start to overspeed....and the higher i get the lower the overspeed gets......wuts up with that??.....and what speed is a 777 suppose to curise in and at what altitude?...or wich speed and altitude would be the best for that plane?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

That's normal. The red dashed line represents the speed limit(IAS) of the aircraft for safety reasons, set by the manufacturer. It's called maximum operating speed(Vmo) at low altitude and Mmo (using Mach) at higher altitudes. The IAS that you reach Mmo will decrease with altitude.

Normal cruise speed for the B777 would be M.80-.82 (Vmo is .84)with an altitude from 34,000-38,000 (not sure of the maximum altitude).

Speed bug does not slide downward to match Mach speed in the climb as it should, select SPD then Mach several times in the climb to get speed bug to move to correct place.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...