arrestor cables

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

i downloaded a carrier today that has a dat file for arrestor cables, but i dont know where the dat file should be placed. anyone know the answer?

i can land the corsair on the deck no prob without the cable but jets are impossible.

the carrier is a pack of 2 in b.c. one inlake okenagen, one near vancouver by the straits of georgia.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The filename and the library where you downloaded it from would be of great help Idea

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

The filename and the library where you downloaded it from would be of great help Idea

sorry, sometimes i go into stupid mode 😂

the file is on this page:
http://www.fsimzone.com/new/download4-30-titleA-10.html

it is hmcs_van.zip but on the page it just called "aircraft carriers"

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheezyflier wrote:

i downloaded a carrier today that has a dat file for arrestor cables, but i dont know where the dat file should be placed. anyone know the answer?

i can land the corsair on the deck no prob without the cable but jets are impossible.

the carrier is a pack of 2 in b.c. one inlake okenagen, one near vancouver by the straits of georgia.

Ok, I've spend several hours on this now and am none the wiser. I've installed both carriers (correctly) and can't find either of them despite having flown around 'til my tanks were empty. Just wanted to find at least one of them to see how the landing goes as I have Rob Barendregts rcbco-20.zip installed.
In desperation I thought I do a CAT launch from the HMCS Vancouver I think it was, yes you can do that in a Corsair strangely enough. That would have allowed me to fly an airport pattern and attempt to shoot a TRAP. But you see what happened:

With and without panel

Ended up in the hold which consists of cool ocean water.
This is not a new experience by any means.
Having read the text docs over and over and compared these carriers with others (working ones) I have, I concluded that I'm either to dumb to get this working or that those carriers are just not up to scratch.

Now I assume that you are partial to these two carriers because they are located in the area you call home or like to fly around in. I won't mess around with those two any longer - not meaning to discourage you in any way - but I'd suggest you start off with a carrier or two that are easy to install and you'll be able to do COPS both with Props such as the Corsair and Jet fighters.

IMO one of the best and at the same time easiest to install carriers is this one: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alphasim&CatID=fs2004scen&Go=Search

You'll be able to take off in your Corsair straight away under its own power. You might not be able to land yet because NONE of these freeware carriers come with CATS and TRAPS installed.
That would be the next step.

Let me break it down for you.

Obviously you need the carrier(s) with a hard deck - there are plenty around.

Then you NEED rcbco-20.zip available at AVSIM.COM. Caution: You may be a natural talent or a genius, I apologize if you are -- but if you are a mere mortal like most of us, don't go messing about willy nilly with that file and hope for the best. Rob's Readme files are detailed and nothing is left to chance, everything you need to know is explained.
But... should you get your head in a knot, because there are actually more than one Readmes and you might just have read the one that has nothing to do with your current task, we can help you.

Finally, you'll need aircraft that preferrably already have a tailhook (if not, virtual/invisible ones can be added).

Some of the aircraft already equipped with a tailhook will have a CAT gauge incorporated in the panel - some don't. Doesn't matter, the CAT gauge can be added to any panel you like, instructions and gauge are actually contained in Rob's rcbco-20.zip amongst so many other things.

Sounds like a lot of work but it is only at the beginning. Rob's rcbco-20.zip for example has to be installed only once and all other carriers you might install later will already be fully equipped.

Regarding the panels with added or already integrated CAT launch gauges , you'll find that you'll only ever use a handful of different panels even though you might use several dozen of aircraft for your COPS.
In other words, once the gauge is in the panel, it's in the panel and you can switch panels around from a/c to a/c within reason.

In another thread we've been discussing related matters.

Print it all out and read it when you're in bed and want to go to sleep 😀

Pro Member First Officer

yesterday i found the thread you speak of, and i d/l'd the puerto rico carrier. i have yet to do the rcbco file. i'm gonna need a little time to do that one i think, mebbe this weekend. not being a "natural talent" and certainly no genuis (hard to believe, i know, but just ask my wife 😂 )
would require me to pay close attention to what i'm doing.

sorry to learn of your troubles with the 2 vancouver carriers. i have no problems with them. the deck is hard as a rock for me. how did you install them? i just put them in the scenery files. i loaded them like any other add on scenery, and used them right away. i have no special affinity to british columbia, it's just were i happened to find 2 carriers. i'm actually marooned in ontario, a displaced american. it's tough being stuck in a country that thinks ham is bacon. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I wouldn't dare getting near your wife let alone ask here questions about you if that's an image of her in your Avatar. Looks like one of the crazed, bloodthirsty chicks out of Tarantino's Kill Bill 😳

Just briefly about the rcbco file. When you get around to mess with it, after unzipping, go:

Gauges / rcb-miljet / Documentation COP V2.0 / README rcbco-20

Copy that README to your desktop or nail it to your forehead because you'll be referring to it again and again and sooner or later you won't remember where it's hidden. Just a tip.

About the two Vancouver carriers... I'm having a suspicion that another carrier add-on I installed recently might be the culprit - conflicts of interest perhaps?
I'll get to the bottom of it... or not.

Man, that is one scary Geisha -- I can't get over it Fear

😀

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

I wouldn't dare getting near your wife let alone ask here questions about you if that's an image of her in your Avatar. Looks like one of the crazed, bloodthirsty chicks out of Tarantino's Kill Bill 😳

Man, that is one scary Geisha -- I can't get over it Fear

😀

oh no, that's no geisha. she's chinese. that's yushulien (michelle yeoh) in a scene from crouching tiger, hidden dragon. it's actually the greatest movie ever made. (without an airplane in it.)
when it comes to her, i am a total fanboy. she's my fav martial arts actor.
she's attractive, funny, classy. a good role model for my step daughter.
if you liked kill bill, this is way better, and no cusswords.
see this movie, in the mean time, here is a better pic

my wife is much better looking, much more patient, (heck she married me) and alot less deadly. and japanese. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheezyflier wrote:

...that's yushulien (michelle yeoh) in a scene from crouching tiger, hidden dragon. it's actually the greatest movie ever made. (without an airplane in it.)

Funny how that's exactly what I look for first in a movie -- AIRCRAFT!

Jerry Bruckheimer should have to spend the rest of his life in a penitentiary institution doing hard labor for turning material with great potential such as Top Gun and Pearl Harbor into sentimental mush. Whip

But what can you do? With plenty of good looking planes in them, you just gotta get the DVDs. I've been wracking my brain to find a way how to edit those movies, cut the stupid scenes out and burn the aircraft scenes onto a DVD.

I've never actually seen 'Crouching Tiger' in its entirety but you've twisted my arm now. Have always had a soft spot for good martial arts movies. I think I'll get it for my birthday -- and for that purpose I'll bring my birthday forward a few months to tomorrow.

Thanks for the pic of Michelle Yeoh. I have no doubt that your wife is the best looking and most patient wife a man could have and because she's Japanese, I'm glad for your sake (not the beverage) that you're not French.

Some time ago my new aquaintance Jaques and I were driving through a part of town were any Asian female could only have been Japanese. Traffic was slow and there was this gorgeous looking Japanese lady walking to her office ❤️ -- I almost didn't see the car in front of me stopping Embarassed
Jaques had eyed her too and we looked at each other, as men do, to determine whether approval had been mutual.
He told me that he had been married to a Japanese. I was curious as to why they ended up getting divorced. He explained that his former wife was perfect in every imaginable way but he couldn't bear the fact that she never wanted to argue or fight with him 😳

Go figure. Gotta love the French 😀

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

cheezyflier wrote:

...that's yushulien (michelle yeoh) in a scene from crouching tiger, hidden dragon. it's actually the greatest movie ever made. (without an airplane in it.)

Funny how that's exactly what I look for first in a movie -- AIRCRAFT!

Jerry Bruckheimer should have to spend the rest of his life in a penitentiary institution doing hard labor for turning material with great potential such as Top Gun and Pearl Harbor into sentimental mush. Whip

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

But what can you do? With plenty of good looking planes in them, you just gotta get the DVDs. I've been wracking my brain to find a way how to edit those movies, cut the stupid scenes out and burn the aircraft scenes onto a DVD.
there are programs you can use to get past the write protection, but the few i have messed with were a big p.i.t.a. and totally not worth it to me.

I've never actually seen 'Crouching Tiger' in its entirety but you've twisted my arm now. Have always had a soft spot for good martial arts movies. I think I'll get it for my birthday -- and for that purpose I'll bring my birthday forward a few months to tomorrow.
you can find it in the $10 bin at any discount store. there are a few jokes in that movie, very subtle, that would fly right over most of us westerners. i only caught them because of my passion for martial arts films. if you like the movie, listen to the commentary someday. i collect movies, i so far have almost 300 titles, about 7/16ths of which is martial arts films. the genre is dying out, Crying or Very sad
Thanks for the pic of Michelle Yeoh. I have no doubt that your wife is the best looking and most patient wife a man could have and because she's Japanese, I'm glad for your sake (not the beverage) that you're not French.
that was funny, you caught me off guard, i totally wasn't expecting that 😂

Some time ago my new aquaintance Jaques and I were driving through a part of town were any Asian female could only have been Japanese. Traffic was slow and there was this gorgeous looking Japanese lady walking to her office ❤️ -- I almost didn't see the car in front of me stopping Embarassed
Jaques had eyed her too and we looked at each other, as men do, to determine whether approval had been mutual.
He told me that he had been married to a Japanese. I was curious as to why they ended up getting divorced. He explained that his former wife was perfect in every imaginable way but he couldn't bear the fact that she never wanted to argue or fight with him 😳

lucky for me i'm american. that quality is one of my favorite things about her. my last wife used to pick fistfights with men, and win. (no kidding) Embarassed

Go figure. Gotta love the French 😀
yes, they make great fries!!! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

ROFL ROFL ROFL Great stuff - I've got tears in my eyes!!

We're waaayyyy Off Topic! ... and it's all your fault 😀

It may come as a surprise to you that French Fries are actually an innovation by the Belgians - you live and learn. 😎

Hey Welshflyer, where are you hiding? This is a 'carrier thread' after all, don't be shy!
You've got a good sense of humour, come and join the party

🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...