FSX planes for FS9??

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

I've searched the forums here but couldn't find any reference to this idea:

Can we migrate FSX aircraft back into FS9? Has anyone tried it? There are some nifty planes now available for FSX that I wish I had in FS9.

In case anyone is wondering, I gave up on FSX for the following reasons:
1) Truly lousy frame rates.
2) Truly lousy frame rates even with no scenery at all.
3) Inability to move the view smoothly around an aircraft in "spot-plane" mode (as I can in FS9).
4) Inability to set my viewing height above and behind the plane in "spot-plane" mode (as I can in FS9).
5) Scenery mistakes that put mountains with airfields on them where there are no such mountains (or even airfields) in real life.

That last item was really frustrating because one such "mountain" of 1100 and some feet elevation was right in the flight path when taking off from runway 32 of my home airport in Ithaca, NY, USA. I'll wait a couple of years for a more powerful computer and for later editions of FSX.

But ANYway, has anyone tried using FSX aircraft in FS9? Can it be done?

Long absent fromm here,

Pete

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Pete,

not meaning to be sceptical of your assessment, but just which planes are available for FSX that aren't for fs9?
I rather think it's the other way around, hence the die hard fs9 fanatics which includes myself.

If I could find the energy of listing all the good quality aircraft I have for fs9, I bet out of those you'd find less than 5% available for FSX.

Regards 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Hi Tailhook, and thanks! I appreciate skepticism.

BUT, in your reference to lots of FS9 planes you may be talking, as do most of the people here, about airline jets. *I* am talking about civil aircraft. The specific FSX planes I saw on this site recently, that I would like to fly in FS9, were the Grumman AA-5A Cheetah and the Piper PA-42 Cheyenne III. There are some interesting planes by the Rooks-Silva "Design Group" but, having had it out with them on this forum over one of their early FSX planes (MAJOR and very obvious design mistakes!), I won't touch *anything* they produce.

You may gather from what I've said that I am very particular about the planes I "fly". Some I can't even find anymore and I lost them when I cleaned house a couple of times. One was a turbo-charged V35 Bonanza with a red and cream paint job for which I have searched and searched but it's nowhere to be found. *That* was a sweet plane in every respect and especially in the visual model.

Thanks for your interest. I still wonder about backwards compatibility and welcome any input.

Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I doubt it but all you can do is try one and see how it reacts.
Good luck.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Well Radarman, you're right and that IS the practical answer. I just thought maybe someone had tried it before me.

It will take a few days 'cause I have a lot of other projects going, but I'm willing to try. Don't take any bets on my success. I'm not as clever as you young guys.

Thanks,

Pete

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

hey, i dont mean to be a pest, but referring to your mention of spot view, i mostly fly that way. really, i only fly from the cockpit when lining up with the runway in fs9, because the view doesnt remain constant. the one thing that keeps me flying fsx is locked spot view. i hit f11, and then use the hat switch to set my pov. it stays where i put it. fs9 does not have this feature. i wish it did. it runs so much better on my crappy little computer, and there are so many more g/a planes available, it makes me prefer it.
sure fsx has the better graphics, but the slide show makes me crazy.

Pro Member Trainee
CAFedm Trainee

I tried porting the Goose and CRJ into FS9 and neither would show up. Even if the aircraft themselves did, none of the FSX gauges will display in FS9 (I know this as I am reworking some gauges for use in a project to be used in either version of FS - the FSX gauges only work in FSX). Come to think of it, anything using DDS textures (as in FSX) won't display in FS9 either. Nothing about it is really forward-compatible with regard to the older sim.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Brian,
You have told me exactly what I wanted to know. That idea now joins the ranks of forgedaboudits.

Cheezy, *in FS9* the spot plane view will remain constant if you go, when you're in spot plane mode, to "Views", "View Options" and select "Fixed" down on the right where it says "Type".

I don't know what F11 does but I have a button next to my hat switch that I use to cycle through the views. When in spot plane mode my hat switch moves me around the plane just fine. The numeric pad keys will move the view too.

When landing I set my (fixed) view to be directly behind the plane and I go to "View Options" to set my view height at one foot above the plane's longitdinal axis. This allows me to see the plane's shadow as it gets close to the ground. If the view height is zero the plane's shadow does not show until actual touch-down - a fact that annoys me no end and makes landing, especially a smooth landing, all the more difficult. Some planes, especially add-ons, show no shadow at all when they're on the ground unless the view height is above the plane's axis - also *very* annoying because it is completely unrealistic.

I should add that the main reason I use spot plane view mode is because it shows the greatest span of view around the plane - *much* more than any other view mode. It may or may not be more or less realistic but it allows for smoother flying. Just mho.

Thank you all for your wonderful and useful input.

Pete

Pro Member Trainee
P14u2nv Trainee

pdegraff wrote:

Hi Tailhook, and thanks! I appreciate skepticism.

The specific FSX planes I saw on this site recently, that I would like to fly in FS9, were the Grumman AA-5A Cheetah and the Piper PA-42 Cheyenne III.

Some I can't even find anymore and I lost them when I cleaned house a couple of times. One was a turbo-charged V35 Bonanza with a red and cream paint job for which I have searched and searched but it's nowhere to be found. *That* was a sweet plane in every respect and especially in the visual model.

Pete

Greetings pdegraff,

I can attest through personal experience that the Grumman AA-5B Tiger is an excellent FS9 aircraft. Flight dynamics are excellent and is indeed a worthy addition to your hangar. I do not believe a AA-5A Cheetah is made by anyone as of yet???

I believe there are in fact three Bonanza V35's available; Coronado, Mike Stone and VFD. I have the red and creme colored V35 you described however after review I can not find any info in this V35 aircraft text files stating who designed this particular aircraft. I did find an e-mail address ; beech@methodologyinc.com and the text file reads as follows;

"Thank you for downloading the VFD- 1948 Beechcraft Bonanza 35.This model was created using FDS2.24 and standard MS gauges and sounds. My goal for this project is to create as accurate a model of an early version v-tail as possible, in side and out. The current VC used MS gauges from the Vega and the DC3.I have done many hours of testing and tweaking to the model and now need input from other simmers. I have taken it as far as I am able to given the resources I have. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have or assistance you may want to lend. beech@methodologyinc.com. I Hope you enjoy. "

The Mike Stone version has an updated panel and sound as a separate download. Look to Surclaro as a Google search listed it on that site.

I hope this helps. I do not, however, remember where I d/loaded this aircraft from. Last check I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 70+ Gb of add-on everything for FS9 alone, some payware and some freeware. If you can not find a Bonanza V35 split tail send me a message and I'll be glad to send it to you as long as it is freeware as I believe this one is.

Regards,
P14u2nv

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks P14,
(May I assume that "u2nv" is your last name? *grin*)

We have only a tentative identification here. You refer to having a red and cream Bonanza and call it a V35. You did not identify the designer. Do you have the text file that came with the aircraft?

The Bonanza with which I literally fell in love (but lost) was a "V35TC", the "TC" standing for turbo-charging. You did not mention turbocharging in the model you have but that was a notable feature of this particular plane. I do not remember that it was a 1948 model and, in fact, I really think (but of course I am not certain) it was a later model. I DO remember that it had a total fuel capacity of *only* sixty gallons, 30 per wing, unlike other Bonanza models that carry considerably more. *MAYBE* Mike Stone was the designer but I really can't remember that accurately. Is the Mike Stone Bonanza available *anywhere* on line? Was your red and cream Bonanza designed by Mike Stone?

I'll leave you with these questions while I search Avsim and maybe others for a Mike Stone Bonanza. THANK YOU for your input!

Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Don't waste your time, this is the best and patched it works in FSX.

https://www.simshack.net/manufacturers/carenado-10

I've been flying it for a few years now and loving it.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RADARman!

What a surprise to see you in a GA aircraft!
But it's not turbocharged, it costs seventeen bucks and it's the wrong color!

Kidding aside, I just might buy it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nice to discuss things with you again.

Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

RADARman!

What a surprise to see you in a GA aircraft!
But it's not turbocharged, it costs seventeen bucks and it's the wrong color!

Kidding aside, I just might buy it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nice to discuss things with you again.

Pete

It's the DC-3 or that aircraft, I have a red-black-white skin from avsim for it and it looks great.

Have fun, yes it's been a while hasn't it.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

EUREKA!!!

and WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. u2nv found my V35TC for me! I LOVE IT! And, with all due respect Radarman, it has everything I want in a Bonanza except long range tanks. It is definitely one of Mr. Mike Stone's better aircraft. I just flew it from Clovis, New Mexico to Albuquerque and it performed beautifully.

Thank you P14u2nv! Thank you all!

A Very Happy Pete
😀 😎 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
P14u2nv Trainee

Outstanding my friend. I am glad you found it. There is no documentation at all in my copy however. Great news tho Pete.

Pat

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

EUREKA!!!

and WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. u2nv found my V35TC for me! I LOVE IT! And, with all due respect Radarman, it has everything I want in a Bonanza except long range tanks. It is definitely one of Mr. Mike Stone's better aircraft. I just flew it from Clovis, New Mexico to Albuquerque and it performed beautifully.

Thank you P14u2nv! Thank you all!

A Very Happy Pete
😀 😎 🍻

😀 I'm very happy for you, it's a great little craft!

Enjoy!

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...