G.P.S. in FS9-Non ILS approaches

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Dear fellow Simmers,
why do all(or most) of the non ILS approaches loaded in the GPS arrive at their destination at an angle substantially different to the heading of the active runway. Turning finals over the thresshold is a white knuckle ride and breaking off the approach to give yourself a 5 mile final defeats the purpose surely?I'm not sure wheither I've missed something(no pun intended) or I've failed to understand the tutorial fully or this aspect of the F.S. G.P.S. is not quite what it should be.I'd be grateful for any assistance on this matter.Cheers!

kevin

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi Kev,

I think it's likely that you haven't in fact missed a trick - just that the nature of the Non-Precision GPS Approach is that it's not "TIED" to the Runway Approach Heading in the same way that an ILS Approach is, using a NAV FM link to the Localizer.

If you compare FM (Radio) NAV versus GPS then it's hard to argue against the fact that GPS is the more accurate navigational system. However, Aviation hasn't yet fully made the transition whereby GPS is applied fully in terms of it's capabilites... So what I am saying is that a GPS Non-Precision Approach is a pathway that is designed to be useful in getting you more or less lined up ready for you to manage your final approach using other means.... (Such as ILS)... I guess that's ultimately why it's called a Non-Precison Approach.

My guess is that in the not too distant future GPS will be used to managew full approach and AutoLanding (in place of Radio ILS) but the main obstacle at the moment is that GPS is not currently adequate for Glideslope management..... ie... it can't track a plane's successful flying down the Glideslope to the Runway - it can only manage Heading and Backcourse.

Hope this (small doctrine) helps,

Thanks David,

you've managed to clarify all my GPS isssues in one single,coherant and intelligent reply.Thanks a mil!

kev

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...