SearchSearch 

FSX quit working and won't start up again

Pro Member Trainee
mufc Trainee

I was in the middle of a flight from Calgary to Nadi in Figi. I set up the flight took off, and flew it for an hour and some before I went to bed (don't judge me 😂 )and left the game to it's own devises on autopilot and on course, at altitude and correct airspeed (I had lots of fuel). When I got up some hours later to check on the flight, I turned on the screen and there I was back in Calgary on the ground doing a highspeed taxi across the apron. it was like I had crashed and it had restarted from the departure airport. but ever since I exited the game I can't start up FSX anymore, all I get is the small flight sim X splash screen and then it goes unresponsive when I open task manager. I've restarted the computer, done disk cleanups, defraged the system, etc. Does anybody out there know what happened to cause this? Help! Wall Bashing

24 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mufc wrote:

I was in the middle of a flight from Calgary to Nadi in Figi. I set up the flight took off, and flew it for an hour and some before I went to bed (don't judge me 😂 )and left the game to it's own devises on autopilot and on course, at altitude and correct airspeed (I had lots of fuel). When I got up some hours later to check on the flight, I turned on the screen and there I was back in Calgary on the ground doing a highspeed taxi across the apron. it was like I had crashed and it had restarted from the departure airport. but ever since I exited the game I can't start up FSX anymore, all I get is the small flight sim X splash screen and then it goes unresponsive when I open task manager. I've restarted the computer, done disk cleanups, defraged the system, etc. Does anybody out there know what happened to cause this? Help! Wall Bashing

It could have overheated, or the autopilot failed and he crashed.

As to how to get it going again, that's the problem.

Try deleting the log file and see if it starts, that usually helps.

Radar

Guest

mufc wrote:

I was in the middle of a flight from Calgary to Nadi in Figi. I set up the flight took off, and flew it for an hour and some before I went to bed (don't judge me 😂 )and left the game to it's own devises on autopilot and on course, at altitude and correct airspeed (I had lots of fuel). When I got up some hours later to check on the flight, I turned on the screen and there I was back in Calgary on the ground doing a highspeed taxi across the apron. it was like I had crashed and it had restarted from the departure airport. but ever since I exited the game I can't start up FSX anymore, all I get is the small flight sim X splash screen and then it goes unresponsive when I open task manager. I've restarted the computer, done disk cleanups, defraged the system, etc. Does anybody out there know what happened to cause this? Help! Wall Bashing

Similar to above, but it says setup continues and builds some database and scenery. Then minimizes and stops. Does not lock up. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, but no more.
Thank you, Pete Ortiz

Guest

If you're using MSXP/Vista just use system restore.

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

I've had it happen once to me. It started to load up, then would just freeze. Never figured out the cause of it. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled the game and all seems to be working again. Removing FSX takes some time, but seemed to do the trick.

As for why you crashed, you could have run out of fuel - depending on if you were flying into a head wind or not. What happened to me this mornig was that I forgot to turn on speed probe de-ice. I had it on auto pilot and I guess the probe iced over. The speed bar showed I was flying at 0 kph. This meant the auto throttle had to go 100+% to try to get it up to the speed I had dialed in. Though it didn't register, I flew too long well above the max speed and I crashed.

Guest

This has happened to me in the past. If it happens again try deleting the logbook file and restart usually works and saves going through all the hassle of uninstalling & reinstalling. Must be some bug in the program

robb13 Guest

I've read the replies to date. This happened to me last week. I was at Pilot Records page and clicked to go back to Free Flight and fsx froze. Had to use Task Manager to exit. Since then it freezes just after startup. Have used System Restore to the day before - no luck, Software Repair with no luck. Have uninstalled and re-installed with no luck. -and all after having the game for 6 mths and getting it working after putting in 1.5gb RAM
Will try log file removal - if it works, will let you know given that all the above did not.

robb13 Guest

Thanks for the tip. Renaming the Logbook file in the "My Documents/fsx files" folder is all that was necessary (took a while to find where it resided). So anyone with these issues - fsx froze ( I was in Pilot Records exiting back to Free Flight) and used Task Manager to exit. It refused to startup -would freeze just after initial window displayed and CPU usage went to 99% - save lots of time and rename logbook file first before doing anything else -it'll most likely work. FSX automatically creates a new logbook file on startup if it cant find the correct filename in My Documents /fsx files -I suggest a small filename change rather than delete just in case you dont have the same issue and it still doesn't start-you can rename it back again if you have too.

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

I just starting getting this problem, where as it just won't start, I've deleted the logbook.bin file twice, only one time has it worked.

So anyone have a new solution for this problem?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Delete the fsx.exe and let it rebuild a new one.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
PhilTaylor Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

Delete the fsx.exe and let it rebuild a new one.

Radar

you mean .cfg, right?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

PhilTaylor wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Delete the fsx.exe and let it rebuild a new one.

Radar

you mean .cfg, right?

Embarassed My bad, your right.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

PhilTaylor wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Delete the fsx.exe and let it rebuild a new one.

Radar

you mean .cfg, right?

Embarassed My bad, your right.

Radar

I'm still getting MSVCR80.DLL errors. RM or Phil, do you happen to know what the heck this .dll is and what it does?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I believe that's caused by Norton reading it wrong.
Go to windows update and using the custom button install the .NET downloads.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

I believe that's caused by Norton reading it wrong.
Go to windows update and using the custom button install the .NET downloads.

Radar

I don't have Norton antivirus?? I use AVG.

What type of update should I look for?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

.NET

They should have .3 now I think.

Radar

Helpneeded Guest

Hi all,
I didn't manage to uninstall FSX correctly, now when I reinstall, it freezes on second disc.
I found all the files earlier today, and tried it! It worked perfectly, and didn't hang like before. I say perfectly, but suddenly it only uses one core, instead of all six. But that's not my problem!
I installed FSUIPC4.whatever so I could use AirHauler as well... now my splash screen comes up, and music comes up, but then it just vanishes... which doesn't help me 😞

Do I remove FSUIPC4 (I kinda need it though), delete/rename the logbook.bin file, or delete the .cfg file (is that safe?)?

I don't want to have to buy another copy of FSX 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If it worked until you installed AirHauler and FSUIPC4, then remove them and see if it works.
If it does then you know that's your problem.

All three are safe if you need it.
I'd do FSUIPC4 first then the log.

Radar

flight185 Guest

hello,
i'm just wondering where the fsx.cfg file is located.
i've found a number of cfg's in the main fsx folder but i'm not sure wich is the right one. i've been having the same problem everyone else is having. fsx wont start up. the splashscreen comes up then it says that it has "stopped working" ❓ any sugjestions or advice would be great!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

flight185 wrote:

hello,
i'm just wondering where the fsx.cfg file is located.
i've found a number of cfg's in the main fsx folder but i'm not sure wich is the right one. i've been having the same problem everyone else is having. fsx wont start up. the splashscreen comes up then it says that it has "stopped working" ❓ any sugjestions or advice would be great!

It depends on your operating system as to where the cfg is located.

See if this helps.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/22397/fsxcfg-file-missing/

Radar

ClementLancelot Guest

i was playing FSX and closed normaly. but the next time i tried to start it it started up to the FSX loading page before the menu. after a few minutes it shows me an error message telling me that an error occured and it needs to shut down. i tried uninstalling and then reinstaling but i stilll have the same probleme.
can anyone help me?
thanks
Clement

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Only uninstalling it this way will get rid of everything.
Outside of reinstalling Windows that is.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888846

Radar

ClementLancelot Guest

is their any way of doing it for windows 7? some of the steps do not seem to exist on windows 7 since they are for windows vista and XP.
Thanks again!!
clement

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Vista and W7 should be very close.

Maybe this will help since I don't know what steps you are talking about.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Radar

John Lopez Guest

I had the same problem (FSX does not start up after crashed when try to see pilot record) and the solution that worked in my case was to deleted or rename the file Logbook.BIN located in (Documents\Flight Simulator X Files)

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions