250kts below 10,000 feet?

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

Is this a real rule in real world commercial air traffic bacause I think I went faster below 10,000 when I flew, and 250 kts is really slow for a large jet.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Yes, for that reason you will have to have flaps set.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

It is true - in the real world below 250 kts is the rule - or they will "tag your number". In the sim, yo can go as fast as you want. For fun I've taken a 37 at tree top level through the mountains around Seattle. HOO-Ya

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

What should my flaps be set on when I fly p to 10,000?

Pro Member First Officer

Flap settings depend on what aircraft you are flying, and what your speed is. Check the kneeboard (Shift F10) and look at the refernence. It will give you speeds and flap settings.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Here's the regulation:
91.117 Aircraft speed.
(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's because there are a large number of slow aircraft, many not even communicating with ATC, below 10,000 feet. High speed means less reaction time to avoid a collision with these aircraft.

Pro Member First Officer

So true, so true. Imagine you are flying the Piper Cub at around ,oh say, 80 knots, and you have the Blue Angels come screaming by in excess of 350 knots.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...