Should the tower be talking to me?

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Ok. When I go into flight planner and set up a flight from one airport to another, I end up on the runway ready for take off. Shouldn't someone be talking to me like the tower? Shouldn't someone be telling me where to go and when I get in the air, shouldn't I hear the control tower talking me through the flight? Shouldn't I be starting at the gate or something with the engines off? I don't even know how to start them.

I'm a newbie to forgive me for these beginner Qs.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes you're right but FS is just a rough representation of real ATC, it's just not that detailed.

Third party ATC may give you more realistic ATC. Vatsim is even better, you talk to real people.
http://www.jdtllc.com/
http://www.vatsim.net/

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

If I read your problem correctly, initially you say you go into flight planner, and then you end up ON the runway. In flight planner, when you choose your airport, down in the bottom section you can also choose where you start, Like at the fuel farm, or at a gate, or parking ramp. If you do that, you can contact ATC and request taxi instructions and they WILL talk to you. Also, if you are going I|F||R, they will talk to you throughout the flight. It all depends on how you set it up in flight planner.

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

Maybe this is trivial, but you need to open the ATC communication window (you can have the flight start with it open by default) to tune to ground/ATC and ask for clearance, whether you're on the runway or at a gate.

Then you'll get all the talk you want.

mdaskalos

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

pushing the 'scroll lock' key brings up the window as well.

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

thanks guys... Will work on this...
I love this stuff...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...