Airspace

M15A Guest

Hi all,

Just wondering....the sky is divided into 'classes' of airspace (e.g. class B, C, etc.).

But...I also heard you have certain regulations on some places about the altitude you have to fly. For example you have to fly higher than 2000 feet on some places, while on others it doesn't matter how high you fly.

My question: How do you know these? Are there charts for these?

And another question: How do you know what ATC to tune into? I mean if you fly from an uncontrolled airport and you want to departe straight out, sooner or later you get to controlled airspace. Are there charts for this too, where you are and which ATC is in control of that space?

And if so...where do I find charts for the Netherlands?

Thanks 😎

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
ShockAndYaw Trainee

You mention the Netherlands...if that's where you're from then I'm not sure how much this will help since I only know the US rules.

Airspace rules can get a bit complicated...they're not rocket science but there is a lot of memorizing (if, for instance, you're getting a real-life private pilot certificate). What you mostly need to know is that for VFR flight, each airspace type has its own set of clearance/entry requirements, visibility minimums, cloud separation minimums and equipment minimums (there is some overlap). For IFR flight you're completely under the control of ATC and under a completely different set of rules (I'm only VFR rated and I don't know much about IFR flight).

I won't list out the various VFR rules here but there's loads of info on the web. Here's just a couple of links I found from a quick Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_class
http://flytandem.com/airspace.htm

For the offical details, you can have a look at chapter 3 of the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual (kind of required reading for pilots):

As for charts, again I can only speak to how it works in the US. The basic chart for VFR flight is the sectional, which covers a reasonably large area. Near the major cities you can also get a Terminal chart which give a bit more detail of the area immediately surrounding large airports. Chart reading is skill you learn during pilot training, but yes, this is one of the ways you can get information on ATC frequencies. Here's a helpful link for more on charts:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vfrcharts.htm

I'd say the best advice is to head down a local airport and see if they have any expired charts they can sell you for cheap. If you're only using them for simming then it's not so important that they're current.

Another good source of info on airports is the Airport/Facility Directory (aka...the little green book):

http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_afd

Not sure if this exists for Europe though.

I hope this helps.

M15A Guest

Thanks a lot for that detailed answer!!!

I guess I'll have some reading to do! 😎

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

You do indeed Wink

The official AIS Package for the Netherlands (waar ik ook vandaan kom) is published here:

Any more questions about NL, don't hesitate. I'm no pilot nor a simming expert, but perhaps I can give you some pointers 🙂

x pilot Guest
M15A Guest

Thanks for the answers!!

I'll know where to find you if I have any questions! 😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...