cpu and video card

parman Guest

I plan on buying a new pc soon. The only game I want to play is MFSX. I want to be able to play it in high quality. I realize that the system requirements on the box are far less than what I really need. My question, what is the weakest processor and video card I can purchase without giving up performance. Will a Pentium E6300 with an 8600gt graphics card and 2 gigs of memory do it? Can play it with less? Or is an AMD 64 X 2 4800 enough? Thanks in advance

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

Niether of those will get you high settings. You will get decent medium high preformance.

Pro Member First Officer

I take that back, You might get ok high preformance but try to upgrade your CPU.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your running XP 2 gigs is fine, if you have Vista you should get 2 more gigs.
Check the power supply also, don't go with under 700w.

Radar

Why would you ever need a 700w PSU (especially for a mid-spec PC)? A good 350w-400w should be fine.

Is it a 'special FSX requirement', or is it just generally good for gaming. I think if the PSU gives enough energy for the hardware parts, then it should be fine.

I think 4GB RAM is too much personally, especially if the buyer is on budget. The 2GB should be fine in my opinion.

And why would Vista require 2 more gigs than XP? Are people saying that with same hardware, you will get better performance with XP than with Vista? For some reason, I do not agree. Vista is supposed to run FSX even better, as Microsoft said.

737 doesn't know what he's talking about. YOu can ignore his comments.

Pro Member First Officer

I know a lot lore than you do. While you are sitting around and making false acusations, I am trying to help people ❗

Last edited by Ryan (737FLIER) on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total
my opinion Guest

I was running 2 gigs of memory corsair 6400 800 mhz and i was running on really high and my flight sim would shut down due to lack of memory
vista 32 bit only supports up to 3 gigs (according to corsair) i have 4 gigs and my system only shows 3.25 mhz being utilized the 64 bit vista supports more

my system
amd dual 6000 +
4 gigs 6400 ddr2 ram utilizing 3.25 gigs
8800 gts 320 mb in sli
vista 32 bit home

Pro Member First Officer

If i had that same set up but with 2gb of memory would I get good preformance.

Pro Member Trainee
Ravie Trainee

go with 4gbs u can get decent ram cheap enough and its not worth skimping on it

go for a E6600 or E6400 CPU

have a look at the ATI XT 1950 XTX 512mb its same cost as card u suggested but is 512mb not 256mb

it runs mine smooth as 😀

as long as u have enough power to run ur hardware parts it isnt a problem

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

Anonymous wrote:

737 doesn't know what he's talking about. YOu can ignore his comments.

737 is trying to help people and is a known member here and I think other members respect his opinion.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

I like many other's think 737 is full of BS.

Pro Member First Officer

I think the same of you now that you started acting negitivly toward me.😀

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Why would you ever need a 700w PSU (especially for a mid-spec PC)? A good 350w-400w should be fine.

Is it a 'special FSX requirement', or is it just generally good for gaming. I think if the PSU gives enough energy for the hardware parts, then it should be fine.

I think 4GB RAM is too much personally, especially if the buyer is on budget. The 2GB should be fine in my opinion.

And why would Vista require 2 more gigs than XP? Are people saying that with same hardware, you will get better performance with XP than with Vista? For some reason, I do not agree. Vista is supposed to run FSX even better, as Microsoft said.

😂 Microsoft say a lot of things.

I have 2GB DDR2 and vista uses 40% of that without any other programs running.

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

parman wrote:

I plan on buying a new pc soon. The only game I want to play is MFSX. I want to be able to play it in high quality. I realize that the system requirements on the box are far less than what I really need. My question, what is the weakest processor and video card I can purchase without giving up performance. Will a Pentium E6300 with an 8600gt graphics card and 2 gigs of memory do it? Can play it with less? Or is an AMD 64 X 2 4800 enough? Thanks in advance

Well my computer has the following specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Socket AM2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT
Motherboard: ASUS M2R32-MVP
Memory: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 2 GB (matched pair 2x1024)

And I am getting 15-25 FPS on the ground and 25-30 FPS crusing. I have set the frame rate lock at 30. I have and had the weather on "High" and Aircraft at "Medium High". All the other settings are on "Custom" and they are somewhere around "Medium High" or "High".

I would say get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with the 2GB of ram and GeForce 8600GT. If I could suggest something I would change it to the 5000+ or 5200+, the GeForce 8600GTS or the 8800 and 3 or 4 GB of ram.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...