Direct X 10 Clarification (Vista / Video Card)

Pro Member Trainee
Todd (ohboy710) Trainee

Can somebody explain a few things?

1. Will direct X 10 work in XP as I hear a rumor, or will it require vista? And if it does work in xp, will you notice a difference?

2. Will you see any advantage to direct 10 if you only have a direct X 9 video card?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

1. It has been reverse engineered so that it will work in XP but I havn't tried it. I run it on Vista.

2. I doubt it will even install??

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Doyley wrote:

1. It has been reverse engineered so that it will work in XP but I havn't tried it. I run it on Vista.

2. I doubt it will even install??

How can you be running DX10 on Vista when DX10 isnt even out yet??

DX10 will require that you have a DX10 card... fortunately for you, there are a ton of cards to choose from now and by the time DX10 is released, will be even more on the market... If you try and install DX10 on either XP or with a card that is NOT DX10 compliant, you will simply get a message saying that the necessary hardware was not detected.

lexicon Guest

DX 10 comes standard on all Vista versions but vista performs extremely bad in comparison to XP. I have a Intel DUO 6500 and 4 gm ram 8800 etc XP performs so much better for now. But yes DX 10 is out if you install Vista.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

Are you sure you have DX10? Could you do check for us because I too was unaware DX10 had been released by MS yet.

You can check by typing dxdiag into the run command. DirectX will launch and the version will be shown.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your right, the true DX 10 is not out yet. Maybe this fall.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Directx 10 has been out since november last year...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx_10

I have deleted Vista so I can't run that check you mentioned BashDaBish so I will when I reinstall it.

PhilTaylor Guest

ohboy710 wrote:

Can somebody explain a few things?

1. Will direct X 10 work in XP as I hear a rumor, or will it require vista? And if it does work in xp, will you notice a difference?

A portion of the API has been written to work on top of OpenGL. It is not the complete API nor is the entire runtime behavior there since that would require the new driver model and the Vista kernel.

This "port" is also written by one person, so good luck for support.

2. Will you see any advantage to direct 10 if you only have a direct X 9 video card?

no.

note, "DX10" is actually 3 parts:
1)the DX10 runtime in Windows Vista
2)a DX10 graphics card installed on Windows Vista
3)games that render using the DX10 API.

1 and 2 are available now.

I believe there are 1 or 2 DX10 ports available, but no ground-up DX10 games.

FSX-DX10 is still on target for a Fall 2007 release.

Pro Member Trainee
Todd (ohboy710) Trainee

Ya, I just ran that dxdiag and it does say that i have version 10, so it must be included with vista.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

How about the E6500 he said he has... that also does not exist.

JLangevin wrote:

How about the E6500 he said he has... that also does not exist.

wake up !

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Would you mind elaborating? I have never seen or heard of the E6500.... mind posting a link to it?? I personally think it is a typo.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...