commercial pilots pay

Pro Member Trainee
seadogs Trainee

Hello to you all

I am doing a school project on careers and have chosen to research commercial pilot for south african airways, but have one question that i need to know but can't find the answer for. The question is what kind of salary they earn? (Not only the top pay but also like the basic pay when you first start)

thanks in advance

regards
Joshua

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

At the beginning, not very much. Many pilots start off by working for smaller airlines and those don't pay as well as the majors. I would guess $20,000US for a first year first officer flying regional jets.

Here's some basic data for a few American majors:

http://www.pea.com/imd/airline-pilot-salary.asp

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

antone wrote:

At the beginning, not very much. Many pilots start off by working for smaller airlines and those don't pay as well as the majors. I would guess $20,000US for a first year first officer flying regional jets.

Here's some basic data for a few American majors:

http://www.pea.com/imd/airline-pilot-salary.asp

😳 $20,000 (£10,000) they'd be better off working in Macdonalds!

Pro Member Trainee
xXx-DeathKid-xXx Trainee

In the UK, for the first year, they get in the £30-40 thousand Wink But once you reach captain, the money rolls in by the barrel Wink

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

xXx-DeathKid-xXx wrote:

In the UK, for the first year, they get in the £30-40 thousand Wink But once you reach captain, the money rolls in by the barrel Wink

That's a bit more like it, i thought $20,000 was a tiny bit low for an airline pilot 😳 !

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Welshflyer wrote:

xXx-DeathKid-xXx wrote:

That's a bit more like it, i thought $20,000 was a tiny bit low for an airline pilot 😳 !

In the early days, they get dreadful pay. I was talking about RJ pilots, not those flying for the majors. See my link, suggesting first-year FOs perhaps make $40,000 US per year. That's at the majors.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...