HELP - PC shuts down "due to Thermal Event" !

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help;

I am currently GROUNDED! Yip my 2.5 month old DELL pc has died on me, so no flying for me. It's a bizarre story.... The problem is that the PC completely shuts off after about 10 minutes of use... when I boot it back up, I get a message saying :-

Alert! Previous shutdown was due to Thermal Event
and
Alert! Previous Fan Failure

now the thing is, the fan IS working.... it may be working a little slower (PC seems quiet) but it is working... but the PC just keeps shutting down.

Now I've raised this with Dell and to be fair they're having a Technician with me next working day to replace the Fan and Mother Board..... but my concern is this :-

The problem started happening at the exact moment that I loaded on a new CD-ROM add-on (Piper Archer).

Does anyone have a view on whether it's possible that SOFTWARE could cause some sort of Bug that makes the PC think it is overheating ?

I'm worried that when DELL fit the new parts, I'll stick this add-on back on and it may start happening again.

Am I imagining the link between the fault, and the software ?

Thanks.... Crying or Very sad

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I would replace the fan. If it sounds quieter than normal the fan is not operating at full speed, and most likely not cooling your CPU properly. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Add a fan in the back, it's very easy and cheap. I also added a PCI fan it to is easy and cheap. You can buy them at any computer store or even cheaper on line at http://www.tigerdirect.com.
Ideal, a fan in front to pull in cool air but most cases aren't made to handle that without cutting a hole in front.
Clean your computer out with compressed air every month making certain that the CPU fan is clean.
FS9 run very hot and an add-on aircraft is harder on the system because of the higher LOD.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Great help - thanks to you both - DELL are to replace the standard Processor Fan (which incidentally is v.small) and Mother Board, so I think I'll safeguard things further by getting additional fan as per your advice.

Thanks guys.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

David,
Sounds like you have it under control.

I am not familiar with Dell, but most of those proprietary machines have some sort of monitoring program. You can look and see at what speed the CPU and case fans are turning.

Here is a free program that will monitor your temp. sensors and fan speeds.
Takes a little configuring but is very reliable. You set the parameters for warnings and shutdowns.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=204

Sounds like your CPU fan slowed down under load and went below the minimum speed set in the monitoring program.

Best thing to do in a case like this is to trust your own eyes. Open that baby up. If it shuts down after 10 minutes, it would be easy to watch that CPU fan maybe with a flashlight. If it is slowing down much, you will see and hear it.

Also, if you can't find the monitoring program from Windows, you should be able to boot it into the BIOS/SETUP and look under the Power Settings for something like 'Hardware Monitor'
See what fan speeds are reported there.

"am I imagining the link between the fault, and the software ?"

It would not have anything to do with you installing software from the CD.

Pro Member Captain

Michael H - That's really great help - many thanks for that. 😀

I'll see if I can check out the Monitoring Programme tonight - when I reboot the PC after it's overheat, it automatically gives me a F2 option to get into the BIOS / SET-UP menu, so I should be able to check out the Hardware Monitor setting, as you've suggested.

Some really useful pointers that I'm sure will help - also reassuring to see that you don't think the Software would have triggered this in any way.

Many thanks... 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

"I'll see if I can check out the Monitoring Programme tonight - when I reboot the PC after it's overheat, it automatically gives me a F2 option to get into the BIOS / SET-UP menu, so I should be able to check out the Hardware Monitor setting, as you've suggested."

I don't know which processor you have David, but to give you an idea, I am running a P4@ 2.4 gig. stock intel heatsink and fan.

My BIOS hardware monitor reports it running at around 2700 RPM (give or take one or two hundred RPMs.

Athlon heatsink fans usually run faster. Some heatsink fans run at as much as 5000 rpms or even more probably.

It seems pretty unlikely that a 2 month old fan would fail.

I have seen different motherboard monitoring software report a CPU fan at 0 rpm when I am staring at it with my own eyes watching it fly along full speed.
Asus Probe is notorious for this.

Anyway good luck, hope you're back in the air soon... 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I have had the same type of problem with myideo card overheating. Not with flightsim, but Doom 3 at 1152x864, ultra high settings...yeah, you could cook a hot dong behind my PC in around 10 minutes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😞 Sorry to hear of your being grounded

A couple of free utillities ➡

http://www.7byte.com/

Hot CPU Tester To stress test your cpu

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

SpeedFan 4.17 To monitor fan speeds

Hope they help you get to the bottom of things and get your wings back

Pro Member Captain

Hi Guys,

All sorted - it was the Motherboard.... The engineer advised that it is a common problem with the P4 3.0Ghz Dell Dimension PCs.... so he put a new Mother Board in but also out a new Fan in as well, just to be sure... he also advised that I could consider putting a 2nd fan in and he showed me the spare power plug that a 2nd plug would go into....

So ALL SORTED ! Yeeeeeha.... So I am going to resume the "BARON 58 World Tour" tonight to celebrate...... I just managed to get from Australia over to New Caledonia (before the PC problems started), but from here I need to get to FUJI which is much further (really getting into the deep Pacific).....

Thanks to all for the help - this was a really useful post for me.... definately going for a second fan...

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Great news David,

Yes, go for an 80 mm case fan at the back to suck hot air out and away from the CPU.
they are cheap and take a minute or two to install.

michlin wrote:

I would replace the fan. If it sounds quieter than normal the fan is not operating at full speed, and most likely not cooling your CPU properly. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

yeah, you could cook a hot dong behind my PC in around 10 minutes.

I realise that it's bad form to comment on typos, but I couldn't resist this one 😂 [/b]

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

And i admire the guests talent to dig-up this almost two years old post.... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

Good point - I never even noticed that. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

antone wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

Good point - I never even noticed that. 😀

I knew it...But it doesnt happens only to you 😉

Despite the oldness of this thread, this same problem just happened to me (18/04/2007)! 😳

DELL are still replacing these MOBOs regardless of Warrantly status, I have just been told. So give them a ring anyway!

They've thrown in a new fan too, even tho the old one is Ok!

Hope this helps. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
dkt3 First Officer

yes i would addd a fan you know those deep freeze things that dell has

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...