Aviation books

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello pilots! I'm looking for some aviation books so that I can expand my knowledge about aviation. As you may notice before, I am an aviation lover so everything that relates with that is perfect for me.
I'd like to have some books containing airport charts, navigation rules, and everything related to aviation.
Does anyone know about good books about that?

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

How about this to start with. Some great charts.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah, it's cool, but I'd prefer to have a book. That's what I'm looking for.

PH Guest

Are you looking for a textbook, professional pilot study material or more a book that gives a basic but informative generalisation? I might have some material in my loft or try Ebay. I will let you know if I have anything I won't require.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, I'm looking for everything related to aviation. Anything is fine.
PH, do you have textbooks? What are the contents of it?

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

RadarMan, I can't find the charts in the website you gave me? Where are they?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

RadarMan, I can't find the charts in the website you gave me? Where are they?

Download tables on the far right. Read all the way down.
Click on the HTML to read and if you like, to print out.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Oh, I saw them, but they are not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for aeronautical charts with IFR approaches, etc. All that stuff.
I'm going to take a look at Amazon.com and find a good book.

Guest Ed Guest

I recently read a novel with a fair amount of aviation content, if that sort of thing would be of interest to you.

The book is called "Hornet Flight," written by Ken Follett. Set during World War II, it is the story of two young people who get involved with the Danish Underground, trying to get information about a secret German radar installation to the British, while avoiding being killed, of course. The climax of the story is a night flight in a Hornet Moth, a civilian biplane, from Denmark to England, avoiding anti-aircraft fire and German fighters, without any navigation aids or radio, and without opportunity to land and refuel. A pretty good story, if not totally realistic.

After I finished the book, I did the same flight in FS09 using a Piper Cub, just to see what it would be like. I just used the map and compass, no GPS, no other nav aids. Fortunately, I had chosen a night with a full moon, so I was able to see some detail of the ground. I had to do a couple of "in-flight refuelings" of the Cub (in the book, they topped off once from a five-gallon can in the cockpit!) and it took about 8 hours of flying (over three evenings, IRL) and I landed at an RAF station outside London. I left Denmark at about 7 PM, right at sunset, and landed at about three AM. In the book it only took six hours, but the Hornet was faster than the Cub.

A good book, I highly recommend it.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

www.rodmachado.com

He's got some excellent material!

Pro Member First Officer
Riclo First Officer

Well I dont think your going to find a book with everything but you could try "The International Encyclopedia of Aviation" by David Mondey,Crown Publishing, my edition is from the first publication in "77", I use it as a general referance when buiding my Planes. It features among other things, a chart of the Major designs of the planes, shows you that theres not much new under the sun. If you would like to see an example just head over to my site and go to the "Pic" page. Ric

PH Guest

The textbooks I have are the full UK ATPL syllabus which go into far too much detail down to the history of the electron for the electrics section! I cannot part with these however I do h ave some other books I am sure but will have to check. If you want IFR charts approach plates I have some fro/m when I did my IR but these are for UK leeds, Humberside, Teesside, Sheffield, Blackpool. I can copy them and send to you as scanned files would be large.

Pro Member Chief Captain

PH, do you have the Heathrow charts? If not, I would appreciate if you send me the other charts. I can't find charts on internet. Most of them are payware.

Thank you, FEM for that link. I'll buy some of his books probably.

Ed, that books seems interesting. I'll check if I can find it.

PH Guest

Ok if it is charts then your best bet is www.ais.org.uk registration is free, left hand side "Subscribe here" got through the form and it takes no time to be registered. Log in - go under "Publications" then "UK AIP" Click the link "The UK AIP Package"
Left hand side "UK AIP" (drop down menu) under this "UK AIP" again then "Aerodrome data"- "Aerodrome specific" pich which airport you want and then either the SID STAR Approach whatever.
Down side is this is UK based but gives you therefore EGLL EGCC etc. These charts are not the easiest as published by the CAA! Aerad are my faves but they cost £££! I do have some Aerads but for the sim these will do the trick. Hope this helps.
Actually just had a look at one and they appear much clearer now better layout.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thank you, PH for that link.
I'll check those charts out.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...