New graphics card

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

I currently have an ATI Radeon X800 and I am looking at upgrading to a ATI Radeon X1650 Pro HIS IceQ 512MB GDDR2 AGP 8x.

At the moment I can not run FSX on full, as the frame rate is between 7 and 13.

Would the new Radeon greatly improve this, or could someone recommend a different new graphics card to get, so I can try and run FSX (hopefully) on near enough full/very dense.

Look forward to any recommendations.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

D5Tweddle wrote:

I currently have an ATI Radeon X800 and I am looking at upgrading to a ATI Radeon X1650 Pro HIS IceQ 512MB GDDR2 AGP 8x.

At the moment I can not run FSX on full, as the frame rate is between 7 and 13.

Would the new Radeon greatly improve this, or could someone recommend a different new graphics card to get, so I can try and run FSX (hopefully) on near enough full/very dense.

Look forward to any recommendations.

It would probably help if we knew what kind of cpu and RAM you have setup.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

The answer is no, no matter what kind of cpu and ram he has.... the graphics card is not doing much work at all.... The CPU and RAM are what make all the difference when running FSX... No matter what you have now, an upgrade will make it run better.

Some people (like myself) have spent $2000 to build a rig that can fully handle FSX on full scenery and effects. A $400 investment into a new card would only yield about a 1-2% increase in frame rates.

Im giving you this info so you do not spend $150 on a new video card, only to notice that nothing changes performance wise. The order of upgrade should ALWAYS be CPU/RAM, then Graphics.

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

I suggest you go for the ATI x2900xt. This is a card which supports direct x 10 and would be useful in the future. And I also insist on the fact that graphics card plays a very important role in FSX. Its the in-game benefits which we get out of the card. This card which I mentioned has a ddr-3 ram and a total memory of 512mb.

Also if possible get a good cooling system for you. That really helps cutting down the heat.

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

Thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

How can I find out what CPU/RAM I have?

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Well try the software pcwizard 2007. its free and easily googleable. Not only CPU/Ram it does a complete analysis on your system.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...