Incorrect airport elevations.

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

I have not been using FSX for many reasons, the worst of which is my slow equipment. BUT there was a particular annoyance and I wonder if anyone knows of fixes, either made or planned or available.

FSX has an airport a few miles NW of my favorite airport (Ithaca, NY, USA - KITH) that is at the wrong elevation. It should be at about 650-700 feet asl but is at some elevation greater than 1,000 feet. Thus the program has placed it on its own not-so-little mountain that should not exist. It is a scar in otherwise beautiful scenery.

The Ithaca airport is at its correct elevation but the "renegade" airport, which does not appear in FS9, is way off. Interestingly, there is no actual airport in its real world location.

In the little flying I have done with FSX (I'm a dedicated FS9 user) I noticed other "incorrect mountains" in various locations all over the world. I know FS9 has an erroneous "hole" in or near Northeastern Texas so this is nothing new but it seems worse in FSX.

Does anyone know if these probelms have been or are being corrected or if there is an available correction?

Respectfully, Pete

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
CAFedm Trainee

Am sure there are or will be some addon mesh that should fix these things (although most likely would be payware). To make your own modifications, download FSX KML (freeware). You must also have Google Earth installed to use it. What this does is permit modifying areas of land using Google Earth directly as a reference, including exclude and flatten areas. I haven't come across anything else that works in FSX re: flatten/exclude, however this does the trick very nicely. Supposely it will also allow modifying streams, roads, etc., but I haven't investigated any of that as yet.

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

Thank you, Brian!

This sounds like an ideal remedy. I do have Google Earth. I can certainly get the other program. I don't know when I'll have time to try what you've described but I will when I can.

Thanks again. It's people like you who make this one of the best forums anywhere.

Pete Group Wave

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...