Rio Amazonas, a really dangerous airport.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

As the subject says, the airport Rio Amazonas (SESM), Ecuador is a very dangerous airport. Did you guys try it? I have a challange: Try to take off with the Learjet 45 or any Jet and get out of the airport zone. That's going to be really hard. Take a look at that airport. It's in a middle of a hole. You'll see.

Answers 36 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Piper Warrior III.
I took off from the hole and climbed to about 5500 ft, couldn't clear the top after doing a single 180° turn. I've done this type before with an aerobatic aircraft, they are good for this.

Radar

Last edited by RadarMan on Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain

It's hard the first part of the take-off. I first tried to take off with a Cessna Grand Caraban and I crashed. Maybe with a Skylane I can do it better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

We were all having fun with this, check out the post and the airports.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1550/i-dare-you-to/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's cool. I've never see that post. I guess I have to check those airports out. 🙄

ted/guest Guest

Taking off is quite easy, but not exactly realistic. I've done it using Historic Jetliners' DC-8 and Boeing 707. The DC-8 is more familiar to me. These are not the easiest aircrafts to use here, but I think this instruction is usefull for other planes, too.

So, here is the t/o procedure for the 8:

1) Set the fuel quantity no more than, say, 20 %. Cotopaxi intl. airport is a good destination for this flight. It is close enough.
2) Use runway 12. There is no hope taking off to the opposite direction.
3) Flaps 20 (FS2004) or 25 (FS2002)
3) Full throttle - not 100% N1, but full throttle.
5) Hold the brake untill the plane starts to move despite of them.
6) Follow the normal t/o procedure untill you accelerate through 145 knots.
7) Pull the nose up gently - do NOT scratch the runway with the tail of air craft. The fuselage of the 8 is long and you scratch it easily.
😎 Reduce drag: take the gear up as soon as possible.
9) As you accelerate, set the flaps to the first position (10) to produce the necessary lift.
10) Pull the nose up so that you cannot see the edge of the hole in front of you. You should, however, avoid trying to climb to steeply. That will cause stalling. Monitor the climb and and slopes of the hole by looking around you.
11) On the level of the edge you should fly about 135 -150 kts and the ground is terrible near. At the 6500 - 7000 ft you are safe. Look the beautiful river on a crest in forward rihgt.

Landing is more difficult and good planning, practising and good knowledge of the aircraft is necessary. 707 is easier to handle than DC-8 this way. If you, however, decide to try the 8, be exremely carefull with the air break. Using it in flight has caused troubles for real life pilots, too. Long-fuselaged series DC-8-61, 63 and -71 and 73 are propably too slippery for this landing. They will not slow down fast enough.

1) ILS is not possible.
2) Allmost no fuel is to be left. Say, 15% or less.
3) Runway 30 is the only possibility.
4) There is a vor by the edge of hole. You shold leave it right.
5) There is a road, which I usually leave to the rihgt, too.
6) The exact position to cross over the edge is over the trees on the edge, behind a field (light brown spot) you are going to fly over.
7) Gear down early enough. Lots of things are going to happen over the edge.
😎 Before the dive, slow down to about 135 kt.
9) Flaps 30/35. (If you are flying a 707, airbrakes should be up now.)
10) Exactly over the edge, full flaps and engines idle.
11) If you are not aligned with the runway, there is no time to reach the glide slope. Try to land on the grass.
12) Dive and head for the threshold. Behold the speed! The runway is short, and it ends right before another slope.
13) At (in? on?) the midway of the dive, pull back and head for the 1/3 or middle of the runway. If you are flying a 707, set the speed break handle in position 'arm'. Do not slow down under, say 135 knot. The aircraft will stall and crash on the ground.

14) If you are still aligned wiht the runway, continue lifting the nose untill you are feeling safe and reaching the normal glideslope.
15) The runway is not long, but there is a tolerance for minor problems and non-precisions. It is better to land safely on the midway of the runway than crash right after the threshold.
16) Do NOT flare. Just keep the aircraft level and sinkrate somewhere around 200 -700 ft/min. Flaring will lead you too near the end of the runway and the next slope.
17) Continue slowing down by breaks and reversing the engines immediately after the landing.

By training you learn to land and even stop the plane before (!) the mid of the runway.

This old jets I have used are surely not the easiest types to land in Shell Mera. I am sorry I cannot remember the site where I downloades an Antonov AN-2 -biplane. It is worth searching, however. I recommend it for the first landings. It is easy to handle and slow enough.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ted,

Thanks for the fantastic detailed explanation, I know the we (I) appreciate it.
Stop by more often!
Is this the aircraft you speak of?

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=an2bfu.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hey, I took a Concorde out of there...after i finish downloading something, i'll upload them and we can have a look see!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

What??!! Are you serious? You took a Concorde out of that hole? How in the world did you do that?? I can't even take my Leajet out of there. I always get stall and then I start to lose altitude very fast.
Upload those pictures! I want to see them!

Pro Member Chief Captain

You are completely crazy, man! I'm sure it was a hard landing. You were coming too steep!

Congratulations, soldier, you've passed the lesson.
Hmmm, correcting myself..."Congratulation, pilot, you've passed the lesson! 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

That's neat, BUT...can you take off with the same plane? the 747 is too heavy to take off out of there, the engines don't churn out enough power, and you'd ave to mod the engines to do it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hey, testpilot, I just saw your screenshots on Swiss VA. I assume you are a member. I am a member too. I joined last saturday, so I'm kind of new.
Ok, I've have gone off topic... 😛

testpilot Guest

helloo...
first to Fire_Emblem_Master: yes i got the 747 out of there...that's how i was flying around to begin with...turned around and landed it thus capturing those screens

anyway Agus0404 yep i'm a member...cool! hehe i actually did that 747 flight before i read your lesson, came across this thread when i was searching the internet for SESM (trying to find out if the airport really was like this or an FS bug) couldn't resist posting those shots here.

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Hi testpilot.
That's a lovely Learjet, where'd you get it from?

Pro Member Chief Captain

They are nice shots. It's hard to land a 747 in that airport.
Anyway, I found that airport on Dangerous-Airports.com That's a good website. It has really dangerous airports 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Riclo First Officer

😎 Aloha You Guys, Have any of you been to KMKO? Now I know why its for Students. Practice very slow. Ric

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Riclo, after seeing your post about KMKO I went there last night.
That's unreal, what a colossal error on the part of MS.
I tried it a few times and then decided to taxi to the end to see if I would fall off or if it was an illusion, I fell off! Yes
Thanks for the ICAO.

Radar

Juke Box Guest

I did it !! With the Boeing 737-400 on Flight Sim 2002. I changed nothing, just a small pushback on the RWY 12 to put the main gear very close to the grass. Then, full power on the brakes. Set Flaps 30 when the speed reaches 100 kts. Just after lift-off, gear up, right rudder and bank to the right just 3 secondes (take care to not hit the ground with the wing tip). Then, bank to the left (+- 50°), between 15 and 20° pitch up. And... I was very very close to the ground, very close to the stall speed with a ROC of... zero !! But, it is working !!! Then, climb straight ahead and escape to a 90° degrees right turn.

Men, I tried a hundred times before to do it !!! 😳

Pro Member Trainee
Kurzer Trainee

LOL you guys are crazy!!! Those screenshots were awesome!!!

We practice here all the time, take off is easy and fairly straight forward... Full throttle with afterburner, flaps 1, roll to 150 indicated and pull back until your at an AOA of about... oh... lets say +90deg. Now go clean and don't forget to roll out instead of pushing negative G's.

Landings are slightly more complicated. Slow is the key.

I love this runway, I'd love to come fly with anyone here! Just send me a server IP and TeamSpeak if you use it... I'll be there! 😉

Chris2002 Guest

Hello,

a landing on the runway 12

And a take off on runway 30:

It isn't a monster but it is much difficult in this direction 😂

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

WOW Chris you got a 757 of runway 30 😳 Testpilot a AN225 I did not think it possible 😀 😳 I tried to land the 747 there but I went innto a high speed stall Fear I landed a 737-200 but.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Hows about giving runway 30 a try with the largest plane you can find [e.g spruce goose].

Here's a pic by Pete Barker.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Well, I know what I will be trying with my ANtonov today. I'll probably live up to my name. Horse

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I tried it yesterday and managed to take off and land a 747 there quite easily 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Okay, on my second attempt, I got the AN-225 out of there.

20% flaps

no cargo

fuel 10% left 10% right, nothing in auxilliaries

pilot and co-pilot only...no other crew

gear up as soon as you are off the ground

as soon as the ridge line is cleared, push the stick forward to avoid a stall.

Umm... I'll discuss landing the AN-225 there some other time. Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain

JVD wrote:

Hows about giving runway 30 a try with the largest plane you can find [e.g spruce goose]

That's impossible! The Spruce Goose takes too much time to get airborne during the takeoff roll.

Pro Member Trainee
falconjgc Trainee

You should have seen me, I chose the F-16, (THE ON that RadarMan refered me to) and I applied full afterburners and when I lifted up I had 60 degrees pitch up. Puke Up When I landed I put on the speed brake and did a nose dive and tried to land it but I had waisted half the runway and ened up going over the end and crashing.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Lol, that's a great airport, I love combat landings, I used to do them at Tallil in Iraq (in the game) to simulate what AirForce pilots have to do. So when I saw that runway on here, I went nuts.

The biggest plane I've gotten down was the 747 AirForce 1, it took five tries, on the fourth I overran that little hill, and there's another hole there! Getting out is easy though, you just have to donate half of your fuel to South America! lol

The best plane for combat landings is the Jazz Dash-8, 'cuz you can reverse the props without weight on the wheels! lol It's like landing a Piper Cub!

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Here a satellite shot of the real Rio Amazonas airport from Google Earth viewer. It is too bad the resolution is poor.

Pro Member Chief Captain

From the map at the URL below, it appears the FS9 exaggerates a bit.

http://www.fallingrain.com/icao/SESM.html

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

They certainly do. There are too many topographical errors in FS2004. And they continue to remain from earlier versions of the MS Flight Simulator series. I also tried flying into and out of Rio Amazonas for the heck of it. That one is so ridiculous....
Hey Microsoft

Pro Member Chief Captain

I suspected that MS had goofed because there would be no sane reason to put an airport at the bottom of a hole as it is in FS9. I googled the airport and there, amidst URLs of this discussion, I found the maps.

MS Whip

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I spent some time last night trying to find an aerial photo of SESM on Google without success. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain

It seems we aren't the only ones having this discussion.

It appears MS accidentally put the airport in a volcano. Apparently there is a mesh file on avsim that fixes this.

Since I don't spend too much time flying in South America, downloading and installing it won't be on my "A" list of things to do.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

It seems we aren't the only ones having this discussion.

It appears MS accidentally put the airport in a volcano. Apparently there is a mesh file on avsim that fixes this.

Since I don't spend too much time flying in South America, downloading and installing it won't be on my "A" list of things to do.

The new mesh images more closely resemble what is seen in the Earth Google image. I don't spend much time there either so I will also past on the fix.

Pro Member Trainee
chou10030529 Trainee

guyz im new and have just only played for 3 days??? and i have sucessfully took off and landed precisely on the airport with an orginal 747

i landed eactly on the middle white line and stopped at 3/4 of the runway

after about 4~5tries

Pro Member Chief Captain

While I've flown an Antonov AN-225 out of there, I don't congratulate myself. The air strip is a Microsoft screw-up. In real life, that airport is not nearly as extreme.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...