What's the difference between DXT3 and 32-bit textures?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Hi, I've been thinking of downloading a Continental Express ERJ-145 from AVSIM and I want to know what's the difference between DXT3 and 32-bit textures. The only DXT3 textures is the CRJ-200.

What would happen if I installed an aircraft with 32-bit textures? Will the textures not load up and become dull and gray if I do that?

Would an aircraft with a 32-bit texture work on Windows 2000 Professional with a 16 MB graphics card or do I need to get the one with the DXT3 textures?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

i am no expert on the types of textures so I will only tell you from my standpoint...

Dxt3 seems to be better on faster comps... more crisp... cleaner textures.

32 bit is standard... you don't wanna go 24 bit cause it is not as clear... BUT that having been said, with your system... you may not notice much of a difference... I would go 32 bit for you.

Experiment... you may have some DXT3 planes that look better... dunno till you try.

P.S.- All Steeler Air planes are DXT3... if that gives you an idea... they still distort from odd angles... and I have a medium good graphics system. I used them both on a Win 200 pro and Win xp pro system... same difference.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I think DXT3 is better for older computers. I think I had tried this before. 32-bit makes the textures gray and DXT3 must be smoother and better than 32-bit I think.

Pro Member Chief Captain

well they both work for me. Lemme know how it comes out whichever you go with!

Pro Member Trainee
siml0808 Trainee
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

You have joined before I even knew this site exists, but since you started posting 4 years later you're technically new to the forums! 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Good info there sim.... thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I have a 16 MB graphics card. If I try 32-bit textures aircraft, the texture wouldn't load up and would be dull and gray.

However, if I use DXT3 textures, the textures usually load up correctly. I think DXT3 is 16-bit textures.

I know this from experience.

Pro Member Chief Captain

run with the dxt then sounds like that will work for you well.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...