Extended 32 bit 888-8 vs. DXT3?

Pro Member First Officer
William A. Jones (waj2306) First Officer

When I repaint or do touchups, and save, I am asked what format to save it in, i.e. extended 32 bit 888-8, or DXT3, and a host of others. I always save the work in whatever the original format is. My question is this: Which of the formats is better on the FPS, and can you change the format without harming the textures?

Thanks
Bill

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

waj2306 wrote:

When I repaint or do touchups, and save, I am asked what format to save it in, i.e. extended 32 bit 888-8, or DXT3, and a host of others. I always save the work in whatever the original format is. My question is this: Which of the formats is better on the FPS, and can you change the format without harming the textures?

Thanks
Bill

I'm not familiar with repainting but from the avsim.com browsing experiance I've noticed that all aircraft have 32bit textures, some even have DXT3 ones. My guess is go with 32 bit ones! 😉

Pro Member First Officer
William A. Jones (waj2306) First Officer

Thanks! I'm still researching this, but your input is welcomed.

Pro Member First Officer
Colin Reece (Col7777) First Officer

Hi,

I'm glad you brought this up, I know DXT3 are supposed to better on FPS so I save to that one, but I too wonder which is best.
I once went over every part of the textures then re-saved it to DXT3 in the hope it made it more FPS friendly, but did it or didn't it?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...