Lakenheath

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I upgraded my FS9 with a freeware download on PC Pilot's cd and to my astonishment there appeared to be no signs of the Hornets based there. I eventually discovered I was looking on the wrong side of the runway and duly found them. Does anybody know whether Lakenheath is split between the US Air Force and RAF with separate groups of blister hangars on opposite sides of the runway?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Sorry for the delayed reply 😞 , but i recently purchased a magazine dedicated to 90 years of the RAF and it lists all the operational RAF bases in the UK, and Lakenheath is'nt one of them, so it looks like it's purely USAF. Hope this helps?

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Many thanks for your response to my query and interested to note that Lakenheath not listed as RAF as I think the practice has generally been for bases used by the USAAF to retain their RAF status with something like a Squadron Leader to act as nominal station commander. It was interesting to note that the PC Pilot add-on of Lakenheath concentrated the Hornets in shelters entirely to one side of the main runway leaving the opposite side empty. This could have meant that side was used by the RAF but in the light of the ongoing shutdowns of RAF stations (such as Coltishall) I would doubt this. To have two airforce groups sharing the same runway, circuits, ATC etc would sound undesireable too. I well remember driving across the end of Khormaxer (wrong spelling I think) back in 1966 just as an Aden Airways Viscount passed over me, hotly pursued by an RAF Hunter. The Viscount was just at the threshold when the Hunter came perilously close to a rear-end collision. That was due to the airfield having two controllers in separate rooms clearing simultaneous landings. I sat next to the involved RAF controller on the penultimate BA evacuation aircraft and heard the whole story!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...