FSX/Hardware Guru? Please Help!

Pro Member Trainee
toddbreda Trainee

Hi there...I have a Dell XPS 200 (XPS/Dimension 200/5150C) and I am running FSX (without any upgrades to my system, specs are at the link below)...I know I need to upgrade but I don't know to what specific hardware exactly.

I'm tired of my processor sounding like it's about to explode whenever I run a mission using my acceleration pack and the choppiness of the video.

Any help from you FS/Hardware guru's would be MOST appreciated!!

XPS 200 specs

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-xps-200/4507-3118_7-31530073.html

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you get a better video card (you have a PCI) slot free you'll get much better performance.
Check with Dell what you can get and you'll have to disable the on-board card you have now.
Don't get a high end card, I doubt that Dell gave you a powerful enough power supply to handle it.

Explain what you mean by explode. do you hear sounds??

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
toddbreda Trainee

Appreciate the advice!

Well, it sounds like a car accelerating or sustained RPMs...My wife says it's the fan (she works in IT). My guess is I am taxing the system when I run FSX, especially the more aggressive missions/jets...

My settings are pretty low as is. It's really bad when I run the UFO chase mission from the acceleration pack or just fly a jet in general.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If it's the fan (I'm sure shes right) then you are pushing the system (FSX is very graphic intensive).
It's OK because the fan is doing it's job.
You could add a fan on the rear grid of the computer case to blow out the warm air.
Very easy to install and very cheap to buy ($20).

Your settings are low because of the card, it's nowhere near good enough for this Sim.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
toddbreda Trainee

Thanks again...I will call Dell and see what they suggest. So is the video card really the main upgrade or do I need to bump up my RAM to 4 gigs as well?

Getting the extra RAM is always good any way since I run a lot of design programs, just wondering what the essentials are for FSX on this system.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

XP won't recognise 4 gigs and your processor (CPU) doesn't warrant that much .

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
toddbreda Trainee

Ah, good to know. So just the video card then. Also, I do have my box in a little half-enclosed shelf in the custom desk I had made...Is that not good? I wonder about that sometimes...Here's a photo...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Open the back if you can, it's hot and dusty in there.
It picks up dust from the carpet through the front of the case.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

That's a mighty small box there in that picture. There might not be a video card to fit in there. The open PCI slot in it is probably a PCIE-x1 for a sound card or something.

mdaskalos

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...