Help with Graphics card

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

I currently have a ATI Radeon X800 series (VX912-3) graphics card, and I would like to upgrade to a better one so my FSX can run hopefully quicker (I am only getting about 17-18 FPS at the moment).

I am not very technical when it comes to PC's, I know 2 years ago my PC was custom built from work. I know I have 228gb of hard drive (if that means anything) and in system information is says for 'total virtual memory' 2gb.

I have heard that I might need more hard drive? to run FSX quicker?

My PC also runs on Windows XP Pro

Look forward to any advice!

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

The graphics card has a huge impact on your framerates, but it's not the only factor. Bring up your run command (Start->Run) and type 'dxdiag'.

Under the system tab, Can ya please Let us know the system manufacturer, Processor, and memory? And under display, let us know the name and approx. total memory on the card.

I'm an nvidia guy myself, so someone else will have to give ya advice on which gfx card ya want 🙂

Also, Tweaking your settings goes a long way. Some things will slow down your computer more than others... FSX is a game of compromise; Pretty vs. playable 😞

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

Thanks for that, the details are as follow:

System manufacturer: Eveshamvale
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40Ghz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM

Display:-

Name: RADEON X800 series
Approx. Total memory: 256.0MB

I hope this helps and I look forward to any responses!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

D5Tweddle wrote:

I have heard that I might need more hard drive? to run FSX quicker?

The size / capacity of your HDD has nothing to do with how fast you can run FSX. Your CPU and GPU however will make a difference.

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

so....what do I do now?

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

I see you only have 1GB of memory. I would get another stick of 1GB.. It won't do anything to windows, but it might help with FSX.

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

your processor will do the job,but more ram (random access memory)as n7xlq1 wrote,(I would actually recommend having 4gig)depending on how old your motherboard is there are 3 types that I know of:
*DDR(slow)
*DDR2(good)
*DDR3(fast)
and new graphics card(if interested,make sure your motherboard and powersupply are compatible with the new card)256mb cards are substandard these days

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Did he mention whether or not he was running either Vista or XP? That would explain everything.

I see...he is running XP......he should bump up on the Memory.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Does Windows XP Pro support 4 Gigs of RAM then?

warlord40 wrote:

...I would actually recommend having 4gig

Man, am I getting confused Wall Bashing

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

4gigs, but no more than that.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I want a written guarantee.

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

Thanks for your replies, it is greatly apreciated. At least I am armed with more inforamtion that I had before!

Thanks again.

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

Sorry to be a pest but I have seen this: XFX Nvidia 9600GT 650M 512MB DDR3 Dual-Dvi PCI-E, would this be suitable for FSX with the specs that I have given above for my PC, any advice on what I should be looking for??

Thanks once again.

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

D5Tweddle wrote:

Sorry to be a pest but I have seen this: XFX Nvidia 9600GT 650M 512MB DDR3 Dual-Dvi PCI-E, would this be suitable for FSX with the specs that I have given above for my PC, any advice on what I should be looking for??

Thanks once again.

What's the make and model of your motherboard??? If it has a PCI-E slot then yes it could work.

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

I have an X800XL PCIe 256mb card which presumably is what Mr. Tweddle has. I dont understand how it can be such a bad card when it works great for me. I'm running all settings pretty much maxed out everything looks smooth and clear.

I realize that a 512mb card is the norm by today's standards and perhaps I'll upgrade to one soon, but in the mean time my X800 will do fine.

Pro Member First Officer
D5Tweddle First Officer

How do I find out if I have a PCI-E slot?

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Your motherboard specs will determine whether you get an answer to your latest question or not.

PCI-E is the type of physical connector that is built onto your motherboard. There will be no way to tell unless you know what it looks like or you know the make and model of your motherboard in which we or you can look it up to see if this type of connector is included as a feature.

I believe a few people have asked for your motherboard specs. Are you able to provide this information?

- Kareem

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

D5Tweddle wrote:

You'll find board photos in the 3 links.

http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1054&highlight=pcie

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

D5Tweddle wrote:

The easiest way is to download 'EVEREST Free Edition 2.20' from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Run the program, expand 'Motherboard' and look for 'Expansion Slots'

Mine looks like this:

Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...