Expanation required

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

I'm about ready to dump fsx. Could someone please explain to me how fs2004 and cfs2 (or3) relate to each other. Are the programs still available, and if so, from where? 🙄

Later ... Art

Answers 29 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Both are available, try Amazon or maybe Fry's.
CFS2 is less buggy than CFS3...think about it, you can probably find it at Fry's or Staples in the $10 jewel case section.
IL2-FB is nice also.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thank you RM, so I quess it's safe to assume that fs2004 and cfs2 are two completely separate programs. 😕 I shall see if I can find cfs2.

Regards ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

effieveda wrote:

Thank you RM, so I quess it's safe to assume that fs2004 and cfs2 are two completely separate programs. 😕 I shall see if I can find cfs2.

Regards ... Art

Right, all compatible on the same machine.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I have never played any of the CFS series but I have IL2 and its an awesome game. There is also an addon for it called Pacific Fighters which is just as good, if not, better. You might wanna check em out 😉

Cheeks

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Cheeks and RM are both correct, BUT, if you go for the CFS series CFS2 is the best, i was very disappointed with CFS3 😞 . The IL2 Series are fantastic but are heavy on frame rates especially Pacific Fighters, and are not straight into action "shoot em up" sims, they take a while to learn and you have to fly for a long time to reach your destination, but they are worth it!

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Hey Art!

You can also look on Ebay if you want to buy the game aswell and even PLAY www.play.com but play is only British online shopping but it also has American part aswell but i dunno if they do games yet.

But I've played MCFS 3 and i never liked it you don't get to see your airspeed or ALT unless you press one of the F keys but then there just on the screen in front of you and it really enoy's me.

But IL2 & Pacific Fighters i love i find them a lot more realistic especially PF as if you get shot in the engine you could get oil splatter out and after 10 or 20 Min's then it may catch fire and your have to bail out or you will just catch fire and go like it does in the films 'Go up and then down (crash)'.

IL2 is still good not compatible with vista if you have it but very good game and even better with the expansions.

Also i would recommend IL2 1946 which is compatible with vista and is good when playing online (I've had some great dogfights)

Cheeks wrote:

I have never played any of the CFS series but I have IL2 and its an awesome game. There is also an addon for it called Pacific Fighters

Cheeks, Pacific Fighters is not a IL2 Addon its just from the creater's of IL2

Click the link to see: http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/morris91_2007/1156479931-00-2.jpg

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Roger that Morris, Pacific Fighters is NOT an add-on but rather a stand alone.

Mr. Paul Newman -- the best news I heard all morning. Welcome to the real world 👏

CFS3 as has already been mentioned is buggy and troublesome. I don't think I've spent more than several hours playing it - total time. Ever since then it's become just another book on my shelf.

If you asked me whether to get fs9 or CFS2... the bad news is I'd say both.
fs9 will be good and unsurpassed regarding add-ons and all-over flexibility for a long time to come. As you are well aware, there is a huge support base and everything you ever wanted to do in FSX but couldn't, you'll be able to achieve in fs9. Did I mention COPS 😀 ?
The only gripe I have with fs9 is that regarding mil a/c all you can really do is shoot some guns, drop flares and those poor para troopers, but basically it's just eye candy and good for screen shots and perhaps a movie. As I'm not a full time bus driver (747 and the like) I need some excitement in my simming and occasionally want to claim kills - and this is where CFS2 comes to the rescue.

Coincidentally I've spent the last few hours clicking on link after link and in the process discovered a couple of sites I didn't know existed. Most of the a/c are compatible with CFS2 and fs9 and there are many interesting looking campaigns for CFS2. Presently I'm in the process of downloading so many files that I don't know where my head is any more, so I'll just throw some of the links at you and let you sort out what you deem interesting.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=42952

...and finally a payware that's just got me hypnotized:

http://www.simnetwork.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=13&products_id=66

I should also mention that most FS2002 a/c are compatible with fs9/FS2004. Last but not least, simviation have a dedicated CFS2 community who have created a myriad of add-ons - plenty of warships and carriers...

I wonder if Welshflyer has CFS2 installed presently, he just won't say Umm...
Playing hard to get is what it's called 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Cheeks and RM are both correct, BUT, if you go for the CFS series CFS2 is the best, i was very disappointed with CFS3 😞 . The IL2 Series are fantastic but are heavy on frame rates especially Pacific Fighters, and are not straight into action "shoot em up" sims, they take a while to learn and you have to fly for a long time to reach your destination, but they are worth it!

Well with my 512MB RAM and Radeon 9250 my IL-2 runs perfectly though Pacific fighters is rather laggy 😞
PS: My mistake about Pacific Fighters Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

27 'Hail Marys' and your 'Nanna' will be forgiven. 🙂)

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Cheeks wrote:

Welshflyer wrote:

Well with my 512MB RAM and Radeon 9250 my IL-2 runs perfectly though Pacific fighters is rather laggy 😞

Yer i used to have 512MB RAM on my old laptop and I could not run PF it was not worth it but when i got a new laptop PF now works perfect on my 1GIG RAM.

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Art,

Don't give up on FSX!

I know it's frustrating, but I have to admit I'm amazed at it's ability and appearance, and so sre all my friends who don't use flight sims.

I've tried downloading and modifying and it didn't achieve anything. Wall Bashing

For now, just use it for what it is - a very good FS with some very good basic global scenery.

I remember talking to you a couple of months ago about helicopters. This really is a great FS to fly them in! It's very smooth and that's what you need for the buggers!

Listen, even if you give up on FSX please don't leave the forum. I've really enjoyed talking to you and I get the impression you enjoy being here and talking to everyone else.

Have a think about it mate.

Kind Regards,

Lee

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Art, sorry- it wasn't about helicopters, but we did talk and you struck me as a decent sort of person!

Apologies! But my comments stand. Don't go away. We like you!

Lee

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

😀 😀 I'm not being cagey it's just my age (i keep forgetting things 😳 ), at the moment my CFS II is not installed and i'm waiting for Oleg Maddox's (the creator of the IL Series 🙂 ) new project.........The Battle of Britain 😀 !

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

😀 😀 I'm not being cagey it's just my age (i keep forgetting things 😳 ), at the moment my CFS II is not installed and i'm waiting for Oleg Maddox's (the creator of the IL Series 🙂 ) new project.........The Battle of Britain 😀 !

I can't wait!! 😀

Pro Member First Officer

EXPANATION? How come you guys let me get away with that? Shame on all of you!

Thanks to all for your replies. The folks at Fly Away are the greatest.

I’ve done some hunting on the web and it looks like my choices are these:

1. FS2004
2. CFS2
3. IL2 Sturmovik
4. IL2 Forgotten Battles
5. IL2 Pacific Fighters
6. IL2 1946
7. Pong

Since my main interest is in the U.S. Navy, it would appear that FS2004, CFS2, and IL2 Pacific Fighters would be my best bets. A very important concern is that next November I will turn seventy (I can’t believe I made it this long), and I wonder about the learning curve for each.

I forgot what I was talking about……OH YES, now I remember, flight simulators. Should I get just one? If so, which one? Or, go for all three? I’m tempted to get them all. Maybe I should consult my cardiologist first. I know he’ll probably insist on Pong. Mad

What ever I do, my computer is also a consideration. It’ll barely handle FSX with the sliders high enough to give me scenic detail, but my frame rates are in the twelve to seventeen range over forests and water. Cities…forgetaboutit! My question is, which one of these programs requires the least computing power? Embarassed

I’ve seen some of the IL2 videos. Are there any “blood and guts” add ons? Oh, the humanity. Which reminds me, the Hindenburg explosion would really be fun to experience. Another add on perhaps? Twisted Evil

Well, I’m rambling again. Any advice from you experts would be appreciated. Oh, and don’t worry Lee198, I’ll always have FSX handy, all those add ons cost me a fortune, and Fly Away is my second home. Now, if I could only find a first. Fear

🍻

Best regards … Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I thought Expanation was a combination of Expansion and Explanation Ha Ha

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

If it were me i would go for FS2004 first without a doubt! There are so many first class addons for it, both payware and freeware, that you can just about pick your favourite genre whether it be Naval Aviation , Airforce, general aviation, helo's, airliners then there's the WWII stuff, oh there's just so much to choose from in FS2004 that after 4 years i'm still discovering and learning 😳 !
And the Naval Aviation with the carriers and aircraft available, as i'm sure Tailhook will agree 😀, are the best there is bar none!

Pro Member First Officer

I just ordered FS2004! Egad, what have I done? I'm scared.

Fear

Later ...Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

effieveda wrote:

I just ordered FS2004! Egad, what have I done? I'm scared.

Fear

Later ...Art

Wise decision Congratulations

Let the fun begin

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

Dida Dum Dum Dum....Another one Bites the Dust..

Pro Member First Officer

When you get to be as old as I am, regression is a good thing.

🙂

Later ... Art

Pro Member First Officer

I am now the proud owner of FS9, and with the help of a very near and dear friend of mine, who got me "hooked" on this to begin with, it is up and running. All I can say is... IT'S MAGNIFICENT.

Group Wave

Why I struggled with FSX for almost a year and a half, I'll never know. Sorry to say this, but you folks at ACES took a good thing, and really screwed it up!

🍻

Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Welcome to the REAL world Art.... and may you enjoy it.

Pro Member First Officer

Thank you belgeode, I am enjoying it. Locked at thirty frames (with about twenty to spare), and most sliders maxed. Man, what a difference.Let me have two pickets to Tittsburgh!
🍻

Regards ... Art

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

effieveda wrote:

Thank you belgeode, I am enjoying it. Locked at thirty frames (with about twenty to spare), and most sliders maxed. Man, what a difference.Let me have two pickets to Tittsburgh!
🍻

Yes, and I asked the wife for the salt. I'm now divorced. 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

hahahaha... now that you are in the know.... here's a lil gift from me...

Pittsburgh airport as designed VERY recently by my good friends at Mach 1 Design Studios. So close to the real thing that you may have to wait in the security line.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&DLID=119153

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Let us prepare for a concerted effort to petition for this thread to be made a SUPER STICKY in 5 sub-forums of this board...

...guess which 5

Pro Member First Officer

belgeode, got it, thanks. Now I'm waiting in line with my pickets in hand.

😀

Tailhook, where can I sign up?

🍻

Later ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

effieveda wrote:

Tailhook, where can I sign up?

I'm printing the forms as we speak...

Umm... ...now, where do I put the ink... ...do I need a screwdriver...?

Why does life have to be soooo complicated?? Idea

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...