Flame-outs?

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Hey I was watching this program the other day, and it said a aircraft had a flame out, and had to circle and land, I know a flame out is when the engine has a flame almost exploding out of it, but only for a few seconds. Would this cause a aircraft to crash or even have to circle to land? Can anybody put a simple text expanation of what a flame out is and how it occurs? Please no 10 page essays.

Regards,
Beerbadger

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

A flame out simply means that the combustion flame of the engine went out. Several things can cause this. Yes, it would cause a return to a airport. Should not cause a crash unless all engines flame out simultaneously. 😳

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_out

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hey Beerbadger,

A flameout refers to the failure of a jet engine caused by the extinction of the flame in the combustion chamber. It can be caused by a number of factors, including fuel exhaustion, compressor stall, insufficient oxygen supply, engine ingestion of water or ice, mechanical failure, and other factors.

That is the best definition of a flame out I have come across. If the aircraft engine cannot be restarted, then the aircraft is flying with one engine and should seek to land as soon as possible, which may involves circling to land

😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...