Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Flame-outs?

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Hey I was watching this program the other day, and it said a aircraft had a flame out, and had to circle and land, I know a flame out is when the engine has a flame almost exploding out of it, but only for a few seconds. Would this cause a aircraft to crash or even have to circle to land? Can anybody put a simple text expanation of what a flame out is and how it occurs? Please no 10 page essays.

Regards,
Beerbadger

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

A flame out simply means that the combustion flame of the engine went out. Several things can cause this. Yes, it would cause a return to a airport. Should not cause a crash unless all engines flame out simultaneously. Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_out

Pro Member Chief Captain
99jolegg Chief Captain

Hey Beerbadger,

A flameout refers to the failure of a jet engine caused by the extinction of the flame in the combustion chamber. It can be caused by a number of factors, including fuel exhaustion, compressor stall, insufficient oxygen supply, engine ingestion of water or ice, mechanical failure, and other factors.

That is the best definition of a flame out I have come across. If the aircraft engine cannot be restarted, then the aircraft is flying with one engine and should seek to land as soon as possible, which may involves circling to land

Wink

Click below to support FSF: