Missed Approach.....what do you do first...

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

Ok, the scene. 747-400 (default) at 2,500ft, 170kts approx, using IFR flight plan, being guided around by ATC. Then on the last part I fail to "catch" the ILS....for Approach.

Report missed approach, told to increase height, change course etc. I dial-in increased height into A/P, and new direction. Still on A/P and A/T, plane then pitches up too much, speed slows, autothrottle doesnt respond quick enough plane stalls, too low to recover, crash bang wallop.

Long story short. On a missed approach, what should one do first.
Incease air speed again first, before trying to increase height?
Or just switch off A/P and hand fly to new height.....

Is there a guide on what to do, to reconfigure from a "landing" setup, back to one for ascent??

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Not sure what the pro's do in a 747, but for me in my A319, first thing I do is gear up, flaps up, then get power up over 200 to the first flap speed, which is 210, then climb to ATC designated altitude and get to the proper vector... without speed ya can't climb. I do it all on manual since by that time I would have been on manual to touchdown. As soon as power is set and altitude dialed in, I switch auto back on.

I dunno if that is exact procedure, but at least I am not falling out the sky.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

At the point you're executing a missed approach, you'll be low, slow and dirty i.e. low altitude, slow airspeed and full flaps with extended gear.

As soon as the approach is unstable / you're told to go around or at any point a go around must be executed you should do the following:

1) Take off / Go around thrust (TOGA)
2) This will arrest the descent and initiate positive rate of climb (ROC).
3) Gear up as soon as positive ROC is established.
4) Climb on runway heading ( or according to the missed approach procedure) reducing flap setting as your speed passes the increments for that flap setting.
5) Navigate the missed approach profile.

You'll find the missed approach procedure on the approach plate you are using.

I suggest you do all of that with AP off. It's far easier to press 'Z' to disenage the AP and do it yourself.

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

At the point you're executing a missed approach, you'll be low, slow and dirty i.e. low altitude, slow airspeed and full flaps with extended gear.

As soon as the approach is unstable / you're told to go around or at any point a go around must be executed you should do the following:

1) Take off / Go around thrust (TOGA)
2) This will arrest the descent and initiate positive rate of climb (ROC).
3) Gear up as soon as positive ROC is established.
4) Climb on runway heading ( or according to the missed approach procedure) reducing flap setting as your speed passes the increments for that flap setting.
5) Navigate the missed approach profile.

You'll find the missed approach procedure on the approach plate you are using.

I suggest you do all of that with AP off. It's far easier to press 'Z' to disenage the AP and do it yourself.

Thanks guys! I meant Localizer!! rather than ILS beam though!

But I see that the general idea is to increase the speed first before climbing! An making sure the airplane is in a suitable condition regarding pressing the TOGA, flap settings, gear up.. etc....

(An dis-engaging the auto-pilot is a good idea probably)

I suppose I probably panicked at having a "missed approach" an just foolishly asked the airplane to climb while not flying fast enough and with to much drag. Truly a pilot error situation! lucky its just a simulator! lol. Embarassed

[edit: Surprisngly though was quite "scary" when the nose started pitching up, was out of my control and the stall light and warning sounded]

Pro Member Chief Captain

What does the localiser have to do with a missed approach? Do you mean you are missing the ILS interception? At what altitude are you going around.

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

What does the localiser have to do with a missed approach? Do you mean you are missing the ILS interception? At what altitude are you going around.

yes thats the one! was trying to do a "coupled approach" pressed the APP but failed to lock, so did the "missed approach" option on ATC.

(Normally dont have any problems but it didnt lock that time)

Was then told to climb an maintain a higher altitiude than the intercept height I was flying at. Thats when the problems started.

I was at 2,000 ish and at around 170 Kts (ish).

Pro Member Chief Captain

A recovery into a go around at 2000ft is more simple as you can afford to lose a couple of hundred feet or so. A go around at decision height (200ft) is slightly more tricky. However, if you apply full power and get a positive rate of climb, you can't go wrong.

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

A recovery into a go around at 2000ft is more simple as you can afford to lose a couple of hundred feet or so. A go around at decision height (200ft) is slightly more tricky. However, if you apply full power and get a positive rate of climb, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the pointers!!!! Very obvious solution now that I know! 🙂

Must just have not been thinking, and caught out by the response time of the autothrottle to the speed dropping off, because of the climb.

An of course it worsens rapidly because as the speed drops, the nose drops, causing the A/P to make the nose raise even more, slowing the speed more.... etc....

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

The first step on the go around procedure for the 737 is disengage the autopilot. Step two is add go around thrust and simulateously rotate to approx 15 degrees nose high. Next raise flaps to 15 and finally when safely climbing away, raise the landing gear.

In the DC-10, we could keep the autopilot and auto throttles engaged but the key was to engage to TOGA (takeoff/go around) system by depressing the TOGA button on the throttles.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...